Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Grays/Torreys or Bierstadt for newbies

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Grays/Torreys or Bierstadt for newbies

Postby HolyGhost » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:43 pm

Hey All,

I summited Bierstadt on Sunday, June seventh. At that time, the DOT sign at the beginning of the Guanella Pass road stated that it will be closed Monday through Friday FROM 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m & 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Hope this is current and helps.

Take care,

HolyGhost
All you need is Love....

Postby Stretch » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:46 pm

ah that jives with what I had heard in the past, unless of course MIT has newer info. Would still appreciate any comparison of camping on the Grant side vs the Georgetown side as I am only familiar with the Georgetown side.

Postby utepasspro » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:08 pm

On the Grant side there are a couple of "official" camp sites a few miles on from 285....One about 1/2 mile in, the other a couple of miles in. Both look like great spots by the creek. I came in from the Grant side the other day at around 5AM and saw the big sign that said that the road was closed until 6. I went on ahead anyway, and there were no problems. Basically, from what I could tell, you can ignore the construction signs when coming in from the Grant side...I just can't speak to the G-town side. It was smooth sailing for me and man, oh man, I had no idea how beautiful Guanella Pass was!!!! You may be heading for an "easy" 14er, but the drive in alone is worth it...Whoever owns that private land with all the horses is a lucky guy/gal. God's country!!!!
"There are three kinds of patriots, two bad, one good. The bad ones are the uncritical lovers and the loveless critics. Good patriots carry on a lover's quarrel with their country, a reflection of God's lover's quarrel with all the world.” - William Sloane Coffin

Postby MIT » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:29 pm

HolyGhost wrote:I summited Bierstadt on Sunday, June seventh. At that time, the DOT sign at the beginning of the Guanella Pass road stated that it will be closed Monday through Friday FROM 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m & 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Hope this is current and helps.

Here are some pics of the DOT sign. Anyways, as you can see, they are now closed from 9PM to 6AM Sunday-Thursday (including Friday AM as well apparently....), and M-F 8-11AM and 1-3PM. By the time you get there, this may all change again.

The closure is maybe 0.25 mile from Georgetown (well before any of the camp sites), so if you had your heart set on a campsite near there, I would just go in from Grant and drive down the pass that way.

Bierstadt_pics-1102.jpg
Bierstadt_pics-1102.jpg (156.66 KiB) Viewed 392 times

Bierstadt_pics-1101.jpg
Bierstadt_pics-1101.jpg (97.78 KiB) Viewed 390 times

Bierstadt_pics-1100.jpg
Bierstadt_pics-1100.jpg (156.73 KiB) Viewed 389 times
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Previous