Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Any 14ers clear to the summit?

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Any 14ers clear to the summit?

Postby Tory Wells » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:37 am

scottrappold wrote:It's a few hundred feet shy of a fourteener, but we climbed West Spanish Peak Friday and barely stepped on any snow at all, just a few gentle snowfields at the top.

OMG dude.....it's not even a 14er? It's not worth climbing then, might as well knock it down and build a Walmart and McDonalds on the mound. It's not even a real mountain until it goes over 14k. 14,000 or bust! :roll: :roll: :roll:
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby scottrappold » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:51 am

OMG dude.....it's not even a 14er? It's not worth climbing then, might as well knock it down and build a Walmart and McDonalds on the mound. It's not even a real mountain until it goes over 14k. 14,000 or bust! :roll: :roll: :roll:

I know, right? It was hardly worth dragging our butts up the slag heap, because I can't put a notch in my belt or check it off some list....
But seriously, I'm happy people avoid these "lesser" peaks. More solitude for us. We saw two other people all day.

Postby mtgirl » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:13 am

scottrappold wrote:I know, right? It was hardly worth dragging our butts up the slag heap, because I can't put a notch in my belt or check it off some list....
But seriously, I'm happy people avoid these "lesser" peaks. More solitude for us. We saw two other people all day.

I agree 100%. Last summer, I was hiking up Northstar Mountain and didn't see a soul on the route the entire trip. And, from a distance, I got to witness the conga line of people hiking up the final pitch to Quandary's summit. Northstar was far more interesting......Another super fun mountain that's not a 14er is Bison Peak in the LCW.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby scottrappold » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:28 am

I agree on Bison! When I moved to CO five years ago that was the first "big" mountain I climbed, and I had it all to myself. I was a little disappointed when I started doing the 14ers and realized how little solitude there is up there, even on a weekday......

Previous