Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Any 14ers clear to the summit?

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Any 14ers clear to the summit?

Postby Bumbles » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:14 pm

I'm hoping to bag a 14er this weekend with a couple of friends with little experience. Which mountians, if any, might be free of snow up to the summit this early in the season? I'd like to avoid technical gear. Thank you!
"My balls!" - Scott Fischer, on being swept up in an avalanche on K2 and the rope pulling Scott's harness.

Re: Any 14ers clear to the summit?

Postby lowland_hiker » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:26 pm

I would like to know the same.
I'd like to complete a 14r on Monday, if anyone is free.

I'm from out of town so dont have alot of gear, and need to do this as 'basic' as possible, but if folks suggest I need equipment (snow shoe, poles, axe or crampons) I'll go to an outfitter and rent, but the easiest would be something clear to top. I'm wondering Gray/Torrey, Evans or Bierstadt? I already called RMNP about Longs and spoke to two guide companys and they're not doing anything on keyhole, so that's a bummer. I'm from the east, and our snow ended LONG ago.
Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm extending a business trip to fit some of this in. Even if I can't summit, would love to spend as much time as poss hiking Monday!
"I-Told-U-So has a brother...his name is Shut-the-Hell-Up!" Montgomery Burns

Postby JA_son27 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:34 pm

Redcloud and Sunshine, I was able to to avoid almost all of the snow.

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=6070&parmpeak=Redcloud+Peak&cpgm=tripmain
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matt 25:40

Postby lowland_hiker » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:39 pm

thanks, but how far are these from Denver?

Postby letsgocu » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:50 pm

Mt Princeton was the clearest I could find. I was searching trip reports last week to answer the same question. I hiked it with no special equipment, but a hat and gloves are a must its windy this time of year. It wasn't too bad of a hike, some snow but solid enough to walk on with no problem. Its outside Buena Vista so its about a 3hr drive, but it was well worth the drive to get one in this early without all the trouble of heavy equipment. Here is a trip report that might help. http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=6071&parmpeak=Mt.+Princeton&cpgm=tripmain
Why do we want to climb mountains? Because they are there...

Postby unclegar » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:01 pm

Just did Princeton last Friday (5th) and it was definitely cold and windy at times so a good shell makes good sense. I also think poles would be advisable as they helped me to balance across the snow fields. You wouldn't want to slip on them since they could cause a really bad ride down if you did slip. There was also snow up the summit pitch. See bjohnson17's trip report for our conditions.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby lowland_hiker » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:07 pm

thanks, but that might be a bit far. I want an early start, unless there's a hotel right nearby. I'll be getting in on Fri but getting a car Sun night from DEN, then drive to as close as I can be to TH. Then I need to get back to DEN Mon night for an am flight Tues. Damn out of towners.

Postby JA_son27 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:13 pm

You may have to do some driving if you want to hike with a relatively snow free 14er.
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matt 25:40

Postby kimo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:12 pm

No special equipment (snow shoes, poles, axe, crampons, or gaiters) are needed for Mount Bierstadt. I wore gaiters and carried an axe for glissading but they weren't required. I booted it on May 31 with a hundred other people. I saw jeans, flannels, and sneakers all on the top. We followed a couple girls in low-top running shoes down the mountain. They charged right through the muddy willows no problem. =D> I felt like a wuss.

The snow route is fun. I goes straight up the moutain - like one big staircase to the top. I don't expect any recent snow changed much on the mountain.

Postby scottrappold » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:17 am

It's a few hundred feet shy of a fourteener, but we climbed West Spanish Peak Friday and barely stepped on any snow at all, just a few gentle snowfields at the top.
Here's the TR:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=6100&cpgm=tripmain

Postby moff » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:30 am

How about Harvard and Columbia - would they be expected to be pretty clear by this weekend?

Thanks.

Postby mtgirl » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:16 am

moff wrote:How about Harvard and Columbia - would they be expected to be pretty clear by this weekend?

Thanks.

Here's a trip report from 6/2 (lots of snow still.....)
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=6096&cpgm=tripmain
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Next