Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Quandry Pk.

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Quandry Pk.

Postby deagle02 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:38 pm

Just curious... with all the rain we have had down here in Denver, how has the snow been up in the high country? How is the trail and ridge up to Quandry? I want to do this peak soon but am concerned about snow still with the late conditions.

Thank you.

M.C.
"Wish? Did somebody say wish?"

"Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!"
"Mekka-lekka hi mekka chiney ho!"
"Mola-mekka chana mekka hoola molla hey!

-Jambi- Pee Wee's Playhouse

Re: Quandry Pk.

Postby robco » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:12 pm

I did Quandry last Saturday. Still constant snow above 12,000', as can be expected. But if you start early enough in the morning (I began at 5am), the snow should be re-frozen from overnight and support your weight. Never needed to take out my snowshoes, and had no problems postholing.

If you do go, you might meet the mountain goat family half way up :wink:

Postby davebks » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:43 am

What route did you take? I was thinking of the Cristo route up, ridge down, this saturday

Postby slalomnut » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:48 pm

Are there decent campsites along any of the Quandry routes?

Thanks!

Postby asingal » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:11 pm

I did the Quandary Peak last Friday and camped Thursday (6/4) night near the trail head. I could not find any decent campsite near the Blue lakes. If you continue past the Trail head, may be 75-100 yards or so, you will see a small open area and a trail on the right hand side of the road. A car/truck can easily go on that trail. Drive up to the end of the trail (another 100 yards from the road) and camped there (No water available). :idea:

Postby slalomnut » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:55 pm

Thanks for the info and I'll be sure to pack in some water. Cramp-ons and / or snow shoes suggested? Hopefully the weather will not rain on my parade!

Postby slalomnut » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:06 pm

Is there still enough snow to ride down from the summit?

Postby asingal » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:06 am

Did the Quandary on 6/5/09 and last half a mile, to the top, was lot of snow, knee deep at least. You will run into 3 or 4 snow fields before that last half mile and may avoid them by going off the trail. I did not use anything crampons or snowshoes or gaiters :( . The snow is packed and going up is not much of an issue. It is the descend where one need to be careful. While coming down you do not want to slip on the snow and may want to use crampons /snowshoes to get a better grip or dig into the knee deep snow to avoid the slip. If you choose not to use either crampons or snowshoes, I would highly recommend gaiters, so that snow do not get into the shoes. It is no fun to walk with wet socks. I did run into couple of folks skiing down the peak. Happy Hiking :)

Quandary_Peak.jpg
Quandary 6/5/09
Quandary_Peak.jpg (131.37 KiB) Viewed 662 times

Postby davebks » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:37 am

any idea how the cristo coulior is? I was thinking of doing it Sat night/morning.
What's the pitch on that sucker? Any harder then the Skywalker C?

Postby asingal » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:35 am

I saw the skiers on a big snow field on the East ridge route at around 13000 elevation and this is the route I hiked up. The South Gully seem to have snow up to may be 12000, but cannot say, if it is good enough to ski down. Pitch, way beyond my skill level for skiing, so can't help you there.

Any changes for Quandry more or less snow...

Postby deagle02 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:56 pm

Im guessing there is more snow this week than last???? I didn't go because of it. Could someone confirm? I want to go on Sunday but get an early morning start (dark).

MC
"Wish? Did somebody say wish?"

"Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!"
"Mekka-lekka hi mekka chiney ho!"
"Mola-mekka chana mekka hoola molla hey!

-Jambi- Pee Wee's Playhouse