Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fourth of July!!!

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Fourth of July!!!

Postby cwesley73 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:58 am

I plan to be around the Leadville area from July 1st to the 5th. Any suggestions on where to go for a great fireworks display and celebration on the 4th?
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." Marianne Williamson

Re: Fourth of July!!!

Postby Mel McKinney » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:15 am

There will be fireworks in Leadville, otherwise Avon which is about 40 minutes away has a big fireworks show. Avon gets to be a zoo though. It's best to watch the fireworks and then walk to a local restaurant or pub to let the horde clear out of town. :D

Leadville 4th of July
Fireworks at Dusk.
There will be a bluegrass festival on the courthouse lawn and the Rodeo group is have some fundraiser at the Pueblo Bank parking lot.

Town of Avon
Title: Salute to the USA
Date: July 3, 2009
Description: Come out to Nottingham Park to celebrate the 4th of July with the largest fireworks display in the Colorado Rockies!!
Address: Harry A. Nottingham Park
1 Lake Street
Avon, CO 81620
Hours: 5:00 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.
Email: Email
Handicap Accessible: Yes
Cost: Free
Link: Salute to the USA
Details
Over 10,000 shells explode in the sky above Avon during Colorado Rockies largest display that is choreographed to a musical score simulcast on local radio. But that’s not all. The concert and children activities begin at 5:00 p.m. and vendors are open selling food and drink. The grand finale fireworks display kicks off at 9:45 p.m. over Nottingham Lake.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby cwesley73 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:14 pm

Thanks Mel!!! I appreciate the information. Is the Avon celebration kid friendly? I will have my teenage son with me. He and I are planning on doing the Kite Lake loop and maybe one other. I know that we will be in Leadville as of the 30th or the 1st and we would like to go somewhere fun for the fourth and then head home on Sunday. Thanks!
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." Marianne Williamson

Postby Mel McKinney » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:33 am

Avon is kid friendly. There is live music leading up to the fireworks. I don't know who's playing this year. Should be food and vendors there too. Free parking at the foot of Beaver Creek if you're there early enough. Have fun!
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby shaun » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:10 am

I bet the leadville fireworks would look great from the summit of Elbert or Massive...

Postby cwesley73 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:05 am

Thanks for the replys. Thanks again Mel for all of the information. As of right now Avon is the plan! We are looking forward to it.