Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Opinions please

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Opinions please

Postby Tigerbear » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:15 pm

Sandman...........I'm so sorry you live in florida :lol:
people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel...

Postby BAUMGARA » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:29 pm

JA_son27 wrote:Having just come back from hiking Redcloud and Sunshine I wanted to update my peak list, but I re-summited Redcloud on the way back and was curious to what people think of multiple summits. Should I in good conscience say that I summited redcloud twice or only once? I know it's a matter of opinion but I want my list to show integrity. Thank you for your opinions.

Hmmm...... I've been wondering the same thing since I did Shavano and Tab. I did Shavano via the angle, then on to Tab, then back to Shavano.
From what I understand a connecting saddle must have 300' of descent to qualify for a ranking 14er. Yes I'm aware this is debatable. So if you descend 300', then ascend 300' then descend 300' then ascend 300' why wouldn't this qualify?
In my splitting hair opinion you should count Redcloud twice and I should count Shavano twice. But I'm being conservative by not counting it. Makes no difference to me since I counted the elevation gain in my annual figures.

Postby Tory Wells » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:05 pm

Padding one's jock and padding one's peak list are done for the same reason.

Don't feel bad if it's small. :wink:
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby Randy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:10 am

even using the looses terms possible, its one ascent from the trailhead regardless of wether you summit again returning from a neighboring peak. We all can modify the rules as Im guilty of ie. bierstadt from the trailhead is not 3000ft of a climb, but in that case parking farther down the road makes no sense to me. Bottom line, can you sleep well at night with your reports, I can.

Postby dubsho3000 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:32 am

You can also mark it as summitted once, but leave a note in the memo field saying you resummitted after sunshine. That way if you ever happen to forget that sunshine and redcloud are typically done in the same climb, you'll have it marked down. (this assumes this website is still kicking at that future date). And then your count doesn't get skewed.

Matt

Postby davebobk47 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:29 am

lanternerouge08 wrote:Padding one's jock and padding one's peak list are done for the same reason.

What a great analogy, and I think it's true too. =D>
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby cbauer10 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:13 am

davebobk47 wrote:
lanternerouge08 wrote:Padding one's jock and padding one's peak list are done for the same reason.

What a great analogy, and I think it's true too. =D>

I second that. That is hilarious!!! :lol:

Postby elchivoloco » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:03 pm

I agree, it's one summit. It seems really intuitive. But why?

Sure, some people try to follow the 3k foot rule, but we don't disqualify summits because of <3k feet gained, the 3k feet is gravy. We have a 300 foot, 1/2 mile rule to sanction high points on ridges as official 14'ers but also make plenty of exceptions.

Is there a senario where a person could re-bag a summit on the way home and it would count to their peak list? What if you traversed Blanca to LB and then back to avoid the hourglass? Would that be enough work? Could that count as two summits of Blanca Peak?

The other day I stood on top of Maroon Peak twice after doing the traverse to N. Maroon in each direction. Did I summit it twice? The traverse was a little dicey, but hiking up Bell Cord was way more work and took twice as long. Really my Maroon Peak summit total is a moot point, since I would much rather brag about soloing the ridge in both directions and being back at my car for lunch.

I think Ernest Hemingway once said, and I paraphrase "the only real sports are bull fighting, auto racing, and mountaineering" The bull dies, you cross the line first, or you stand on top. So simple and elegant.

All of us need to be careful not to make climbing too academic.
The atmosphere is not a perfume, it has no taste of distillation, it is odorless. It is in my mouth forever, I am in love with it. I will go to the bank by the wood and become undisguised and naked, I am mad for it to be in contact with me. -Walt Whitman

Postby Daniel Trugman » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:21 pm

What if you traversed Blanca to LB and then back to avoid the hourglass?

You better have a better reason for doing that than avoiding the hourglass... :D You'd have to be one sick puppy to do that whole traverse and say to yourself: "Again! Again! Right now!". Anyone who does this is deserving of a much more extravagant reward than putting a #2 instead of a #1 next to Blanca in their online ticklist.
"When mountains speak, wise men listen."
-- John Muir

Previous