Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Help needed- Shav Tab & Ant hikers

Colorado 14er peak questions, condition requests and other info. 14er Trip Reports, Condition Reports

Help needed- Shav Tab & Ant hikers

Postby Hunter » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:10 pm

We're doing the southern three from Nolan's 14 in three weeks and need help on the condition of the Brown's Lake valley between Shavano/Tabeguache and Antero/Mt. White. Can anyone add:
Current stream conditions and/or best place to walk/jump across the creek? Where is it most likely crossable without getting wet?
Perhaps it's not that wide?
Is it best to follow Roach's route (bottom of last page for the Sawatch Range) to Brown's Lake from Shavano & Tabeguache or Nolan's route from the Shav/Tab saddle?
It seems snow will not be an issue in two weeks unless a freak storm hits the area? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by Hunter on Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

Re: Help needed- Shav Tab & Ant hikers

Postby Hunter » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:30 pm

Was anyone on Shavano, Tabeguache, or Antero this weekend?
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

Postby mattpayne11 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:32 pm

I was on Antero but I don't think I can answer your question.

Postby tink » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:18 pm

I was on Shavano. No stream crossings to worry about. I took the east slopes up. It was pretty straightforward, and I would have gotten Tab if it hadn't looked like a storm was coming in. (Definitely did not, but it seemed at least 50/50 at the time.)
Mountaineering Catholics: Bl Frassati, Pope Pius XI, Pope John Paul II

Postby Hunter » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:28 am

tink- did you hit Shavano?- From the Brown's TH, down from Antero,... ?

Postby mattpayne11 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:13 am

Most people do Shavano from Blank Cabin TH. I did Shavano two weeks ago and there was no serious stream crossings to content with at all in that valley. The are you're describing I cannot attest to, but would assume that there are spots to cross. Worst case scenario, bring your sandles and a towel and change into them when you hit the deeper stream section.

Postby Hunter » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:20 pm

Matt,
We are doing it from the Blank TH. We're hitting Shavano, then Tabeguache and then down to Brown's Lake and up to Antero and down to Baldwin TH. Roughly 17 miles in a day will make for some Godzilla apitites at Pizza Works for sure.

It's Brown's Lake and the drainage I'm not 100% on, but if anyone out there has any info we'd greatly appreciate it.

Postby mattpayne11 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:08 am

I've got some photos of the area from last weekend in my weblog if you click below, it might be helpful.

Postby Hunter » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:13 pm

Image This is helpfull. We'll be coming up were the hill from Antero has a notch and then drops off to the left. Thanks for the info on the stream crossing. I'd be puckered crossing it at night too.

Anyone else have any pictures of Brown's Creek or Brown's Lake?

Postby mattpayne11 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:52 pm

No problem, glad my report was useful.

Postby Hunter » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:32 pm

Anyone doing Shavano, Tabeguache, or Antero this weekend that can help with some beta? Thanks a bunch.

Postby Wyoming Bob » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:05 pm

Hello Hunter,

Climbed North Carbonate and here is a photo of the basin between Antero and Tabeguache/Shavano.
IMG_4819.JPG
IMG_4819.JPG (138.31 KiB) Viewed 301 times
Taken at 9:30 a.m., Sunday, June 14th. Hope it helps . . .
Wyoming Bob
www.climbingwithbob.com
Win some . . . lose some . . . CaSO4.2H2O.