Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Democrat from Fremont Pass....any beta or advice

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Democrat from Fremont Pass....any beta or advice

Postby yorksman » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:17 am

Does anybody have any beta on hiking Mt Democrat from Fremont Pass area? I was thinking of parking near the first bend after the pass on the Leadville side but is still this private/mine land here?

Thanks in advance for any beta or tips provided.
Jody
http://www.jodygrigg.com - Mountains scenes of Colorado and more.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jody-Grigg-Photography/262024160516067 Jody Grigg Photography Facebook

pin scar

Re: Democrat from Fremont Pass....any beta or advice

Postby pin scar » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:14 am

Jody:

The curve to which you are referring is known as the Stork Curve. It is named after the Stork Mine - you'll see the large headframe there - which is currently used as an escape portal for the Climax Mine. You will indeed be crossing private property on your way to Democrat, but rest assured that public access is allowed, and that there is signage there to that effect.

I went up the couloir on the west aspect of Democrat on Thursday, and conditions were perfect.

While we're on the subject, yesterday I climbed the long couloir on Twin Peak, near Twin Lakes, and can report that it, too, was excellent. Have a great time.

Postby ClimbandMine » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:18 am

You can park at the pullout / road below Fremont Pass and will not be ticketed. Just do not block the gated road that goes toward the water treatment equipment and 5 shaft.

FYI, there are a couple nice couloirs in the basin ... One goes directly to the summit of Traver Pk, and there are some others further up the basin. In the photo, Democrat is on the left and Mt. Buckskin is on the right.

Edit: The shaft is not used as an escape anymore. The area was reclaimed around 1995-96 and the shaft is flooded. The Stork Portal was just above the shaft on the hillside.

I don't care that you Tele.

pin scar

Postby pin scar » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:28 pm

Thanks for the update on the Stork, ClimbandMine. My father tried to teach me not to go spouting off because, "there's always someone out there who is smarter than you," but I guess it didn't take. :oops:

Postby ClimbandMine » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:29 pm

Nah, just love the history of that place, especially considering what I do. Stephen Voynick wrote a history of the Climax mine published in 1996 that might still be in print. Good book if you're interested.

The Storke level began production in 1953 as the second primary production level. (The Phillipson level was the other main production level - the portal for that is up near the pit) It's named after Arther Storke, who was the president of Climax Molybdenum company for a time, and was killed in a plane crash in 1949.
Last edited by ClimbandMine on Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't care that you Tele.

pin scar

Postby pin scar » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:25 pm

Yes, I have the Voynick book; I especially like the story of the grease sandwich. :D

Climb on.

Postby jwproulx » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Maybe not the best beta ever, but I wrote a little TR for a climb and ski descent of the Demo W. Face last May:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123458

Probably, "hiking" Demo from Freemont doesn't make sense. It's at least a scramble, if not a nasty scree slog. Much better a snow climb, and it's probably getting very late for that, given how much snow that aspect gets.

pin scar

Postby pin scar » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:10 pm

As pertains to current conditions, the west side couloirs are in pretty primo right now. I'll give them another week and a half, perhaps.