Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Yale Conditions

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Mt. Yale Conditions

Postby amill46 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:01 am

Has anyone climbed Yale recently? I'm planning to climbing monday 6/8 and I'm curious what gear I should bring along, crampons, snow shoes, etc. Trying to pack as light as possible. Any info will help.
Thanks!

Re: Mt. Yale Conditions

Postby Eph 2 5 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:37 am

I hiked Mt Yale last Saturday. I carried snowshoes all the way to the top, but didn't need them. There are snowfields at approx. 12,000 ft. that are mostly avoidable. I hiked over the top of them and didn't sink in very much. As I hiked up the steep section nearing the ridge I encountered mixed snow and a couple of small icy sections (I slipped several times on the way down), but nothing very scary. On top of the summit ridge, there's quite a bit of snow, but it was solid and I felt comfortable the whole time. However, I made the mistake of going right on top of the ridge and then got slightly to the left of the ridge, which was a little dicey. I eventually made it back on top of the ridge and onto the more heavily traveled path. I'd recommend staying to the right of the ridge the entire length of the summit ridge.