Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sneffels

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Sneffels

Postby stonebaez » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:12 pm

I will be in Cortez this weekend and figure I will swing by Sneffels before I head back home.

Coming in from Yankee Boy Basin, is there camping along that road near the trailhead? How about out by Wright Lake?

It will probably be a gametime decision when I see it, but does the Southwest Ridge sound reasonable at this time? Thanks!
Climb.

Re: Sneffels

Postby bradyj » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:24 pm

There is camping along the road and around the lakes. You will need 4x4 to get to the lakes. I camped lower and just walked in last year. The road wasn't a bad hike. I don't know about current conditions though. Sorry. Enjoy, it was one of my favorites.
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Postby ktimm » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:10 pm

There are a couple spots on the SW ridge that don't melt out until late

As for realtively snow free, you can go up to lavender col which will have snow and thne get on the rib, probably still a couple snow crossings though but otherwise pretty snow free early.

Postby joe4186 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:34 pm

was in Blaine Basin today. Ridges looked mostly snow free on the ridges. Don't know what the south side looked like
http://friendsofcaic.org/

Go Big or Go Home

"anything worth doing, its worth doing right"

Postby stonebaez » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:46 pm

Not afraid of snow by any means, but if its icy and sketchy due to snow drifts it could be more than I want when I am off by myself. Sounds though like it could be good to go! Have to decide if I will camp by car or hike in a bit, thanks for all the info as always.
Climb.

Postby LongLiveTheHuskers » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:51 pm

stonebaez wrote:Not afraid of snow by any means, but if its icy and sketchy due to snow drifts it could be more than I want when I am off by myself. Sounds though like it could be good to go! Have to decide if I will camp by car or hike in a bit, thanks for all the info as always.

If you decide to go ahead with it let us know the conditions up there. I was considering the SW Ridge around the 15th.
BRING THE TROPHIES BACK TO LINCOLN - 76 Days Till Kickoff

Postby stonebaez » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:55 pm

Will do.
Climb.