Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Holy Cross access

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Holy Cross access

Postby Steve » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:06 pm

I'm planning to climb Holy Cross in July. I've recently heard that it's closed at times...for "migration" maybe? Can anyone fill me in on this? Is there a way to find out exactly when it might be closed?
Thanks!

Re: Holy Cross access

Postby gdthomas » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:25 pm

Postby Steve » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Excellent.
Thanks!

Postby Chicago Transplant » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:09 pm

Just to clarify, the annual closure is for calving - basically the meadows along the road are contain areas known as elk "maternity ward" in May and June. As these meadows are popular for calving, it is requested that all traffic (bike and pedestrian included) give the elk some peace during this time.

The annual Elk Calving closure is from May 1 to June 20. You will be fine in July.

FYI for others looking to get up Holy Cross before the road re-opens: Alternate access during calving season can be found from Fall Creek to the south of the mountain (See Gerry Roach's 13er book, the section on Holy Cross Ridge will show you this access, or people can PM me.)
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby habashua » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:54 am

So does the road open on the 20th or 21st? Also how is the snow on Holy Cross? Is it still holding a lot on the standard route?
-Josh