Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

denali???

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: denali???

Postby covfrrider » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:52 pm

sandman wrote:
covfrrider wrote:Unfortunately, the OP won't be able to run out and buy the suggested books... maybe you guys could be so kind as to send him a copy...

http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19132&p=231806#p231806

You are right, the US will never allow these books to be sent outside her borders now will she?

dude, you miss the point... the guy is friggin serving in Afghanastan... of course, you are probably so wrapped up in your own self importance to understand that.

Postby sandman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:56 pm

covfrrider wrote:
sandman wrote:
covfrrider wrote:Unfortunately, the OP won't be able to run out and buy the suggested books... maybe you guys could be so kind as to send him a copy...

You are right, the US will never allow these books to be sent outside her borders now will she?

dude, you miss the point... the guy is friggin serving in Afghanastan... of course, you are probably so wrapped up in your own self importance to understand that.

Yep, must have missed the point. I don't know if it is me that is wrapped up in my self importance. It seems an awful lot of you on this board have that already going for you. I am not here to spar with words on a message board. I wish you all the best of luck with all your endeavors. Cheers
"Going home is not an option"

Postby covfrrider » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:08 pm

sandman wrote:

Yep, must have missed the point. I don't know if it is me that is wrapped up in my self importance. It seems an awful lot of you on this board have that already going for you. I am not here to spar with words on a message board. I wish you all the best of luck with all your endeavors. Cheers

"the hindu kush are a amazing mountain chain"

No worries, I thought the first sentence in the link I posted would have tipped off a knowledgeable mountaineer such as your self.

Postby TomPierce » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:39 pm

j83soldier: I have a copy of "Mount McKinley: Climber's Handbook" by Glenn Randall. Back in the 90's it was a standard reference, and frankly I suspect the info doesn't change all that much over the years (e.g. planning, training, food, glacial travel, etc.) I won't ever be needing it again and haven't opened it in a loooong time. If you'd like it send me your address and I'll ship it to you. Keep it & put it to good use!
-Tom

Postby sandman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:50 pm

If you would like I have a copy of Denali: A climbers guide the the west buttress by Colby Coombs. I'll be glad to send it to you. Just pm me with your mailing info. I also have a cool little traveling booklet by Harry Kickstra on Denali. It is waterproof too.

Postby gme » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:00 pm

From what I've heard about Denali over 80% of the experience is serious snow camping. You can have a ton of high altitude experience in the Andes, and a ton of one-day winter ascents in the U.S. Rockies and still not get the kind of camping experience you'll absolutely need on Denali. Therefore many people strongly recommend that as a part of your training for Denali that you take every opportunity to camp out in the worst winter weather you can find in the Lower 48.

Postby Gabriel » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:13 pm

I have copies of both Coombs West Butress and Randal's climbing guide. I climbed Denali several years ago and no longer need the books. Send your APO address and I'll send them to you.

Guides: You should really learn the skills necessary to climb the mountain on your own merit. Then when people ask, you can say without hesitation that you climbed it.

G

Postby mtgirl » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:17 pm

Here is Joshua's address from a post he made yesterday. I just mailed him a copy of Halfway to Heaven, Touching the Void, and The Last Season. He likes to read. He and his fellow soldiers always appreciate receiving packages from the states.

joshua ross
apache troop, tf 3-61 cav
(2nd platoon, OP Mace)
fob bostick
APO AE 09354
Last edited by mtgirl on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby sandman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:23 pm

gme wrote:From what I've heard about Denali over 80% of the experience is serious snow camping. You can have a ton of high altitude experience in the Andes, and a ton of one-day winter ascents in the U.S. Rockies and still not get the kind of camping experience you'll absolutely need on Denali. Therefore many people strongly recommend that as a part of your training for Denali that you take every opportunity to camp out in the worst winter weather you can find in the Lower 48.

Very true. Denali is a Marathon of climbing too when you factor in that after a days worth of climbing (8 + hours ) you build camp and fortify it with snow walls which can easily take another few hours if you start from scratch. Sometimes you will be able to move into a previously occupied camp and only have to fix it up some.

Postby sandman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:26 pm

Gabriel wrote:I have copies of both Coombs West Butress and Randal's climbing guide. I climbed Denali several years ago and no longer need the books. Send your APO address and I'll send them to you.

Guides: You should really learn the skills necessary to climb the mountain on your own merit. Then when people ask, you can say without hesitation that you climbed it.

G

Yes climbing unguided is definitely a noteworthy feat, but you have to have a group of friends who all share the same passion too. Some, like myself living in Florida, simply do not possess the network of fellow climbers all the time. Even if you go guided you really should have the skills needed to climb as if you were going on a unguided climb.

Postby TomPierce » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:36 pm

mtgirl: Thanks for the address. To avoid duplication, I'll send the Randall book, others can send books (e.g. Coombs, etc.) if they want to do so.
-Tom

Postby Gabriel » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:45 pm

Thanks Tom, I'll send the Coombs book. I also found 6194, Denali solo in my collection that I'll send.

G

PreviousNext