Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

denali???

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

denali???

Postby j83soldier » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:32 am

thinkin about climbing denali whaen i get back, any beta on guide services/costs experiance needed. Pretty much any info or resorces i could use to inform myself would be apprecated

Re: denali???

Postby JohnWilliams » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:43 am

Go out and buy the book Denali's West Buttress by Colby Coombs. Its got all the inof you would need to know.
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins

Postby Haliku » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:12 am

The Alaska climbing book from Supertopo.com is also well worth the money. Check out the NPS site for all the info you need. Summitpost has plenty of beta for anyone planning for a visit up north. Cheers!
"You step onto the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Postby sandman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:54 am

I second the book "Denali's West Buttress" by Colby Coombs. I've met Coombs and he is a great accomplished mountaineer. The Washburn photos are tremendously helpful in getting anyone acquainted with the West Buttress route. If you are going guided you can expect to pay anywhere from 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 grand, when all said is done, depending if you need gear and how far you live from Alaska.

If you have never been up Denali or have no extensive experience on major glaciated peaks, I recommend going guided. You can take some courses in Glacier travel and rescue which would help in getting you prepared for Denali, then maybe a trip up Rainer in winter would not hurt. As for the rest, just be prepared to work really hard when you are up there. Check out this link. I think the guys at AMS are top notch. I also hear that RMI is another great guiding company to consider. Continued training on the 14ers will definitely be helpful. Some people may not be aware of this, but Denali is actually one of the cheapest mountains in the world to climb guided.

www.climbalaska.org
"Going home is not an option"

Postby Nelson » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:40 am

I'm on my way to Denali in a couple of weeks with Alpine Ascents Int'l. I've done Aconcagua, Orizaba and Iztaccequatl with them and recommend them enthusiatically. Nelson

Postby sandman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:43 am

Yes, I have heard good things about Alpine Ascents. I met a few of the guides for them last summer while in Talkeetna. International Mountain Guides out of the NorthEast is another good group.

Postby ndolbeare » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:56 am

sandman wrote:Some people may not be aware of this, but Denali is actually one of the cheapest mountains in the world to climb guided.

I don't agree with this at all. There are tons of peaks in South America spread across Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Ecuador and Peru that can be guided for much cheaper rates. Orizaba, Ixta and other Mexican peaks are much cheaper. A trip up Kili can be done for less than what Denali costs. Moving to Asia, you can find numerous companies that will guide you up a variety of Himalayan peaks (non 8000 meter) for less than Denali and that doesn't get into Russia, the 'stans and I haven't even touched guiding rates in the Alps. Rainier? You can hire guides to lead you up the Maroon Bells - I certainly hope they aren't charging Denali rates for that otherwise I'm in the wrong business!

Postby sandman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:05 pm

Not worth it.

Postby astrobassman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:18 pm

sandman wrote:First off, chill dude. The tone of your reply "I don't agree with this at all" implies that I somehow am in a heated debate over this. I am not. If you will note the "one of" in my sentece, you can get the idea that Denali is one of others in the "cheapest" category. It certainly is one of the cheapest guided of the seven summits. Airfare to Africa is a lot more than it is to Alaska. This statement was really far from the point of this whole topic and now I regret making it thanks to you.

Sandman, you made an asinine comment, and he called you out on it. Deal with it. Denali is no where near "one of the cheapest mountains in the world to climb". 6 grand for the guide plus flights and gear makes Denali pushing $8 or $9k to go guided. There are hundreds of mountains in the world to climb guided that are cheaper than that.

Postby covfrrider » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:28 pm

Unfortunately, the OP won't be able to run out and buy the suggested books... maybe you guys could be so kind as to send him a copy...

http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19132&p=231806#p231806

Postby sandman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:49 pm

You know what. I used to lurk here and then I created an account. I posted a few times and now I know why I just lost interest in this group. First off, my comment was not asinine. second, the fact that people feel the need to pick apart a small fraction of what really was not important to answering the OP's question to begin with shows the level of maturity or boredom of this board. You guys win. But thanks for quoting that which I chose to later edit, because what I said was true. Thanks though. You guys are swell.

My trip did not cost 8 or 9 grand, but thanks for offering your opinion.
Last edited by sandman on Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby sandman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:50 pm

covfrrider wrote:Unfortunately, the OP won't be able to run out and buy the suggested books... maybe you guys could be so kind as to send him a copy...

http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19132&p=231806#p231806

You are right, the US will never allow these books to be sent outside her borders now will she?

Next