Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Are there any 14ers without snow yet?

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Are there any 14ers without snow yet?

Postby fourseasonhiker » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:18 am

I was planning on doing Missouri tomorrow (Friday, June 5), but I just read up on all the snow that is still there.

I am not interested in skiing a 14er, I would just like to be able to summit one before I am stuck at Pingree Park for 4 weeks (June 15-July 10) doing a class for my degree! So, my question is this.....does anyone know of any 14ers out there that are free of snow, or practically free of snow yet?
FourSeasonHiker

Re: Are there any 14ers without snow yet?

Postby Fiemus » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:26 am

You can certainly get up (and down) Quandary's East Ridge without skis or snowshoes at the moment. You have a couple of spots where the snow gets a little deeper - but some decent boots and a pair of gaiters should be all you'll need to deal with that.

Postby Tory Wells » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:41 am

There are thousands upon thousands of mountains of lower elevation in Colorado that do not have snow, but all of the 14ers still have snow on them. But since you are a fourseasonhiker, why worry about snow? :wink:
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby viejo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:50 am

Seems there are worse places to be "stuck" in than Pingree Park. No free time during that 4 weeks? Because you've access to Fall & Comanche Peaks, Stormy Peaks, the Rowes, and Mummy/Hague with a bit more walking.

Shorter walk to Emmaline lakes as well.

All this is right off your doorway in Pingree.

Postby fourseasonhiker » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:05 am

First, in reply to why snow is a problem since I am a Four Season Hiker. No problem with snow, I love snow. But I do reach a point where I would rather just have my boots on the dirt and rock again. Or even a little snow is no problem. I don't like the postholing problem however. It slows a hike way down, and when I am trying to get to a summit and off it before a storm rolls it, it just makes timing it a lot harder.

I do snow shoe, hike on packed winter trails. The only time I let weather bother me is when my tracks behind me are filling up too quickly with snow that it becomes dangerous, or when there is a thunderstorm.....been caught on more than a few mountains with lightning crashing around me. SO, no, snow is not a problem, I'm just ready to be done with it for the season, that is all. There is certainly no reason for anyone to be getting snooty.

I know there are plenty of lower peaks I could hike, and on Tuesday, I did a wonderfully easy, beautiful hike in RMNP, and I hiked over 9 miles. I couldn't help but think, however, that for as many miles as I hiked, I could have summited any number of 14ers.

And by "stuck at Pingree Park" I am referring to the 5 credit hours I am having to cram into 4 weeks, when I would rather be PLAYING in the mountains, instead of doing school work, that is all. At least it is in the mountains, and yes, there are wonderful trails that I plan to take advantage of.....but with 4 weeks of intense class, even though most of them are outside, I still feel stuck at Pingree Park.

Yes, there are certainly worse places to be stuck, like in a classroom at CSU, but when I am at Pingree Park, I will memorizing hundreds of latin plant names, and who knows what all, writing research papers, taking an exam every week, and what I won't be doing is the backpacking and summiting 14ers that I would rather be doing.
FourSeasonHiker

Postby KevinK » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:25 am

If you're willing to take the drive to the San Juans there are several 14ers that are doable without any snow gear beyond gaiters. I did 13832, 13811 and American peak a couple weeks ago (check my trip reports for pics of the conditions in the area) and could see that the standard routes for Redcloud, Sunshine and Handies were all mostly snow free. I also did San Luis last week and besides a couple short snow fields it should be dry enough as well. The roads to all three of the trailheads used were in good shape and easily accesable.
Oh mama ain't it good to be alive
On your mountaintop and feeling high

-Railroad Earth

Postby rijaca » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:46 am

You could get well above 13K on Antero (standard route up the 4wd road) before encountering any snow, and then the snow should be manageable without snowshoes or crampons.

Antero on 5/31/09:
Antero.small.JPG
Antero.small.JPG (144.47 KiB) Viewed 886 times
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby fourseasonhiker » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:36 am

Thank you for all the valuable information !
FourSeasonHiker

Postby Vincopotamus » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:02 pm

I went to Pingree last summer. It is a strenuous four weeks, but there is still time to play. All the weekends are doable, but the 3rd one is probably the best since there is no test the following week until Thursday. We hiked up to Fall Mountain which offered some of the most stunning views of RMNP I have ever seen. Most of the peaks adjacent to Pingree are less than 13k but it's still a beautiful area. I spent a good amount of time studying, but it's possible to get an A without completely dedicating yourself to the books (pay attention to watershed and you can catch a lot of points that way). Those 4 weeks will fly by so make time to have plenty of fun up there.

PS Good on ya for picking the first session with all the good teachers, you'll have a blast
Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!

Postby fourseasonhiker » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:25 pm

Thanks for all the input. I 've decided to just do a lower trail somewhere else tomorrow....Odessa Lake in RMNP or Blue Lake in teh Rawahs maybe.
FourSeasonHiker