Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Kelso ridge to Torreys conditions?

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Kelso ridge to Torreys conditions?

Postby Hook Em Horns » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:02 pm

Anyone been up Torreys via the Kelso ridge in the past week or so? Just curious what conditions are like.
Let freedom ring from the snowcapped Rockies of Colorado!
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Re: Kelso ridge to Torreys conditions?

Postby Bio Nerd » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:40 am

HEH:

I was on Grays Monday morning. I couldn't see much of the Kelso Ridge, as all upper regions were enshrouded in heavy fog. I was up there from 6:30-10:30 am, and it was snowing the entire time. Blizzard conditions above ~13,500. Sorry I can't address your specific question, but I thought I'd give you what I know.

BTW...I went to A&M... All that rivalry is over-stated...I always had great times hanging out in Austin and at UT!

Postby Hook Em Horns » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:49 am

Thanks for the info. I agree it is a bit overrated. One of my best friends was in the corp at aTm.
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Postby Steve Climber » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:31 am

There is a small chance I will head up there Sat. morning...will be sure to post conditions w/ pics if I go.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby surfnputts » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:25 am

My bro-in-law and I headed up Kelso on 24 May and had good conditions. The approach was snow-packed or dirt up to the split where you head to the ridge. Gaiters were key as post-holing was common. The ridge was in good conditions with mixed rock/snow and very minimal ice or veraglass. We strapped on our cramp-ons pretty soon after reaching the ridge which was real helpful when navigating a few snow sections with mountaineering axes. If you go, make sure to take the long glacade down from the saddle between Grays and Torreys. I'd guess we dropped nearly 1500'...without any stops :) Here are some pictures from the ascent.
Attachments
IMG_0038.jpg
Looking down the ridge about 1/4-mile from the Torrey's summit. This was only 1 of maybe 3 small cornices we had to either go over or punch through on the ridge.
IMG_0038.jpg (179.97 KiB) Viewed 618 times
IMG_0036.jpg
Looking up the ridge, maybe 1/2-mile from the saddle between Kelso Mtn. We put on our cramp-ons before we reached the visible snow sections.
IMG_0036.jpg (223.27 KiB) Viewed 617 times
IMG_0035.jpg
This is where the trail splits to Kelso Ridge with Torrey's hidden behind the clouds. You can see the first part of the ridge, visible upper-right. My sister and her friend took the normal route to the summit of Grays, then we met up in the saddle for the glacade.
IMG_0035.jpg (246.06 KiB) Viewed 616 times

Postby Hook Em Horns » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:37 pm

I made it up Torreys via the Kelso ridge on the 5th. I was very glad I brought my crampons along for the last part of the ridge. There was so much snow up top, that you could not see the knife edge before the last rock tower. I really enjoyed this route, great rock scramble.

couple of pics of the "knife edge" and upper ridge:
http://www.14ers.com/images/userpics/u1636p11_090606144745.jpg
http://www.14ers.com/images/userpics/u1636p11_090606145307.jpg
-Martin Luther King, Jr.