Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Sopris?

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Mt. Sopris?

Postby Tory Wells » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:52 am

timf wrote:Not to hijack this thread, but a quick story.

Few years ago a buddy and I went and did Redcloud and sunshine and knew of someone that we might bump into at the trailhead. (I'll leave it at that.) So we were talking and somehow peaks on our wishlists popped up in the conversation. I had said that Mt. Sopris was on my list and how amazing it looks from Carbondale.

She replied, "Oh but it's ONLY a 12er!"
I thought what an arrogant butthead thing to say, but it remains a joke to this day.
So for example this Labor Day weekend, same buddy says we should put Tijeras and Music on the agenda.

Of course I replied, "Oh but they're ONLY 13ers!"

Tim

Your post is so applicable to what goes on on this website everyday. Some folks act like 14ers are the only mountains in CO and anything less is not worth climbing. I laugh when folks inquire about "14ers without snow on them" when there are literally thousands of mountains in CO that are bare. Climb 'em all!!!
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby iceman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:07 am

I have only climbed 8 14ers. Mt. Sopris took more out of me than any of them. Beautiful mountain and lakes, usually less traveled than most 14ers and White House Pizza is close by.

Postby kaiman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:21 pm

Sopris is one of my favorite peaks to climb. This summer I will make my 5th attempt (3 successful climbs and 1 turn around due to a quick moving thunderstorm). With over 4000 feet of elevation gain and 12+ miles it is the perfect warmup for climbing most 14ers in the Sawatch or other ranges that have large elevation gains. In fact, I think it is more challenging then some of the class 2 climbs in the Sawatch and Front Range.

I was at Thomas Lakes 2 weekends ago and there is still quite a bit of snow on the standard route that hasn't been melting with this cold weather/rain. I would recommend poles or an ice axe if you have them to cross any snow you might encounter.

Cheers!

kaiman

BTW I have climbed both ways: backpacking in to Thomas Lakes and then summiting and hiking out, and getting an "alpine start" and doing the whole trip in one day. They are both long, but enjoyable... so take your pick and don't let anyone make you feel back for climbing a 12'er. :wink:
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Postby cheeseburglar » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:31 pm

Good to see some other Sopris fans out there!
And I'll link to another Sopris fan:
http://www.wildsnow.com/1873/the-mountains-she-is-calling/
Looks like there would still be snow on the standard route from those photos, but not much. It goes to the south side of that ridge (photos are from the north). But gaining the ridge I think there will still be a snowfield or two. Or you could snow climb up the skiers route, straight to the saddle from Thomas Lakes.

And anyone who climbs Sopris deserves this little tip: lots of good car camping on the road and at the trailhead.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby coop_go » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:32 pm

hi....
i climbed it last thursday...summer route didn't have hardly any snow on it. gaitors helped though. have fun!

coop

Previous