Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Sopris?

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Mt. Sopris?

Postby ramblinrambler » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:39 am

I'm just curious if anyone has been up Mt Sopris lately? A friend and I are thinking about hiking it here soon and I was just wondering on snow conditions and all. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Mt. Sopris?

Postby ColoradoKrazy1 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:28 am

ramblinrambler wrote:I'm just curious if anyone has been up Mt Sopris lately? A friend and I are thinking about hiking it here soon and I was just wondering on snow conditions and all. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm guessing you didn't get a response because Sopris is a 12er(12953) almost a 13er but here is a link at summit post to get you started for information, wether it's current or not I couldn't say. http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150233/mount-sopris.html

Have fun. :wink:

Postby XPLSV » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:54 am

Sopris is a majestic peak and on my personal to-do list. It has a greater vertical rise than many of the 14er routes...but a little more oxygen is available for the climb :)
Bernie

It's an interglacial period...

Postby timf » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:01 pm

Not to hijack this thread, but a quick story.

Few years ago a buddy and I went and did Redcloud and sunshine and knew of someone that we might bump into at the trailhead. (I'll leave it at that.) So we were talking and somehow peaks on our wishlists popped up in the conversation. I had said that Mt. Sopris was on my list and how amazing it looks from Carbondale.

She replied, "Oh but it's ONLY a 12er!"
I thought what an arrogant butthead thing to say, but it remains a joke to this day.
So for example this Labor Day weekend, same buddy says we should put Tijeras and Music on the agenda.

Of course I replied, "Oh but they're ONLY 13ers!"

Tim

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:07 pm

By one mathematical measure of "awesomeness", reduced spire measure, Sopris is the fourth most awesome peak in Colorado.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby ColoradoKrazy1 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:08 pm

XPLSV wrote:Sopris is a majestic peak and on my personal to-do list. It has a greater vertical rise than many of the 14er routes...but a little more oxygen is available for the climb :)

I'm actually planning on doing it this summer (July Sometime) and camping at Thomas Lakes depending on weather. It's 4600ft of elevation gain which is above most of the easier 14er's elevation gains at any rate it does look like an excellent climb and lots of fun to be had. :wink:

Postby Britette » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:22 pm

Here is link to a webcam of Sopris http://webcam.sopris.net/
It looks at the Crystal Chute, which is dry right now. The traditional route from Thomas Lakes may have more snow at the moment. Others in the 'hood - Cheeseburglar? - may have more beta.

Postby XPLSV » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:05 pm

I hope to climb this one following my son's return from the summer with his Mom in late July. We talked about it last year but just didn't make it with all the other &*(@!! that was ongoing. Carbondale is a neat little town...several good pizza and beer joints :D
Bernie

It's an interglacial period...

Postby timd » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:00 am

I love Mt. Sopris, I see it daily and am planning on climbing it soon. true it is a 12er but it is one of the most beautiful mountains in Colorado.

Postby giarcd » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:36 am

There are many that hike to Thomas Lakes (about half way) ,camp then go to summit in AM (myself included),then back to lake, break camp and hike out.
Always sign register at lake! Helps provide funding for area thru FS.

Postby CAF » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:51 am

Have not been up this spring, but here is a photo from this morning. Route up from Thomas Lakes essentially follows left skyline.
Attachments
sopris 003.JPG
sopris 003.JPG (158.56 KiB) Viewed 861 times

Postby iceman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:03 am

Another shot from this morning.

Next