Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

More SNOW!

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports
fvhayden

Re: More SNOW!

Postby fvhayden » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:00 pm

There seems to be a huge disconnect between the reported snowpack percentages and reality. Today 9news said that snowpack levels were 20% of normal or lower. This doesn't square with the simple fact that I can look at Mt Evans and see that it has more snow than usual for this time of year.

Postby traderaaron » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:41 pm

That disconnect you observe may be due to water content levels of the snow. A bit of new snow that freshens things up doesn't really do much for the actual snowpack and how much water content it may have left.

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:02 pm

Brad wrote:KOAA reported that on the news this morning and they also have a blurb on their website, under weather articles. There is a nice picture of Mile Marker 16 almost completely obstructed by snow.

That looks to me like a few inches of new snow on top of two feet of old plowed-up crud.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby pioletski » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:22 pm

Two feet... two inches... I can attest that Pike's is in great shape and there's plenty of snow to play in - see Benners' TR from 6/4:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=6062&cpgm=tripmain
We were allowed to drive to about Mile 16. Later in the day the rangers were allowing people to park a bit higher; I would bet that the road will be open to the summit within a few days.
The greater danger, for most of us, is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low, and we reach it.
- Michelangelo

Postby fletchersteel » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:38 pm

It is open today. Not sure for how long, but quite a few people and cars.
Forecast for tonight thru sunday is looking like a lot of very high winds.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=38.8407772667165&lon=-105.0457763671875&site=pub&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en
By the way, Awesome trip report from Pikes. Great pics!
"A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him and leaving something of himself upon it." — Martin Conway

Postby MountainMan88 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:48 pm

Ah, oh well I don't really care about Pikes Peak, I don't really like that mountain or plan on climbing it for a while. At least it didn't snow like that on some of the other mountains.

Postby audiotom » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:00 pm

Evans was pretty solid snow
high winds all night thursday
everthing west had a lot of new snow on it

Previous