Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

More SNOW!

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports
Site Administrator

More SNOW!

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:01 am

The Front, Tenmile and Mosquito ranges are expected to get some heavy wet snow through tonight. Based on the forecast through the remainder of the week, this snow layer could be fairly unstable.

Be careful out there!

Not hanging up the boards yet... :-"
Only SNOW will end the madness

Re: More SNOW!

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:06 am

As we plan our weekends, I think this deserves a bump... especially this part:

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Be careful out there!

Based on a few of the trip reports, and my own experiences last week, there's a lot of heavy, wet, collapsing, slipping, sliding snow out there. Just 'cause the CAIC doesn't provide avy reports in June doesn't mean the snow is "safe" now.

Have a great weekend - whatever you have planned - but I'll echo Bill's sentiment here: Be careful out there!

Postby Bodhi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:23 am

How 'bout the San Juans...any beta on them? Just curious because we'll be tackling the Wilson group tomorrow and I'm struggling to find current conditions/pics.
Peace is every step. ~Thich Nhat Hanh

Postby Mark A Steiner » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:04 am

Even the San Francisco Peaks N of Flagstaff, specifically Humphreys, got snow last weekend.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby Brad » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:09 am

Pikes Peak reported two new feet of snow from this latest storm.

Postby Bodhi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:17 am

Brad wrote:Pikes Peak reported two new feet of snow from this latest storm.

That's just crazy.

I just talked to one of my employers in Creede and she said it's sunny today but they've had an incredible amount of moisture recently.

I don't recall a spring quite like this in a long time....anybody else remember one this consistently wet?
Peace is every step. ~Thich Nhat Hanh

Postby scottrappold » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:37 am

Not that I'm questioning the 2 feet of snow, but where did you find that? I checked the SNOTEL site on Glen Cove and it says the monitoring station at Glen Cove got 3 inches. Thanks.

Postby Brad » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:20 am

scottrappold wrote:Not that I'm questioning the 2 feet of snow, but where did you find that? I checked the SNOTEL site on Glen Cove and it says the monitoring station at Glen Cove got 3 inches. Thanks.

KOAA reported that on the news this morning and they also have a blurb on their website, under weather articles. There is a nice picture of Mile Marker 16 almost completely obstructed by snow.

Postby Mark A Steiner » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:35 am

Hearkening back to Bodhi's comment, I can go back to 1975 to find one year that may have been wetter - based on appearances, not on actual weather data. Spent two mights in Silverton mid-June and it snowed one night. The road above Animas Forks leading to Engineer/Cinnamon Passes was plowed only part way. Animas Forks was deep in snow, but at least you could get that far - and not much farther unless on foot. Above 11,000 feet south-facing slopes has hardly any bare rock exposures. The Blue Mesa reservoir was at its maximum pool elevation.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby Prairie Native » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:22 pm

Anyone have any snow data for the elks? We are in leadville right now and during the drive in over the pass on 91 this morning it looked quite wintery.
Something witty.

Postby fletchersteel » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:12 pm

Brad wrote:
scottrappold wrote:Not that I'm questioning the 2 feet of snow, but where did you find that? I checked the SNOTEL site on Glen Cove and it says the monitoring station at Glen Cove got 3 inches. Thanks.

KOAA reported that on the news this morning and they also have a blurb on their website, under weather articles. There is a nice picture of Mile Marker 16 almost completely obstructed by snow.

It seems like Pikes has been getting hit everyday for the last few weeks! Quite a bit of snow up there.
"A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him and leaving something of himself upon it." — Martin Conway

Postby Scott P » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:16 pm

I don't recall a spring quite like this in a long time....anybody else remember one this consistently wet?

Most of Colorado was below normal precip in May. June has been above average throughout most of the state, but the month has only begun.

================================================================================================================================================

Anyway, June snow in the mountains is not unusual and happens every year. in an average June, Pikes Peak for example averages 9 days of snow and 9 days of hail in the month of June. Even July averages 7 days of snow. Two feet would be a big one though, assuming that the report is correct. In the Colorado mountains, I've seen it snow at least a foot many times in June, in fact June 2002 is the only year I remember that I didn't see a fair-sized snowstorm.

Here is a photo from near Ripple Creek Pass June 2005 at about 10,000 feet:

In June 2003, I climbed Parkview Mountain during a big blizzard. In June 2007 there was a pretty good snowstorm in the Flat Tops (it even snowed in Craig) and in the morning we recorded 13F, the coldest June morning I have camped in. Last year in June, our project got shut down because of blizzard conditions on June 11. This was only at 6300 feet elevation near the CO/WY border. In June 2001 we also got snowed off our project not far from Telluride.

Snow in June is very common in Colorado.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Next