Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Humboldt/ Sangres

Colorado 14er peak questions, condition requests and other info. 14er Trip Reports, Condition Reports

Humboldt/ Sangres

Postby utepasspro » Sat May 23, 2009 9:28 pm

i haven't seen much in the way of current info on Humboldt or the Sangres in general. I was hoping to do La Plata on Monday but I think I might be looking elsewhere now given the reports of postholing up to waist high...or higher on La Plata. I know I may have to go the whole 18 miles on Humboldt, but I don't mind that if it's not post-hole hell.
"There are three kinds of patriots, two bad, one good. The bad ones are the uncritical lovers and the loveless critics. Good patriots carry on a lover's quarrel with their country, a reflection of God's lover's quarrel with all the world.” - William Sloane Coffin

Re: Humboldt/ Sangres

Postby killingcokes » Sat May 23, 2009 10:10 pm

The radar was showing lots of activity in the Sangres over the last few days. Almost more than the Sawatch two night ago. Not sure how much snow they got but I'd assume it's less than the Sawatch.

But if you go please take pics I'd like to ski that one this year if it's in

Postby dubsho3000 » Sun May 24, 2009 7:09 am

I was down on Humboldt last week (thursday) and could never really see the summit. It did seem that the base of the couloir that is commonly skied was in, but it disappeared into the clouds. Sorry I can't be more help than that.

I did update the TH status - you shouldn't have to do 18 miles unless you only have 2wd. As far as the rest of the hike - we postholed quite a bit to and from the lakes. Past that the snow seemed to clear out, but there were still some patches to cross. We didn't get to the saddle as we were cold and wet and didn't really feel like the views were going to make the effort worth it (i.e. inside of a cloud).

Matt

Postby thunderinacircle » Sun May 24, 2009 5:26 pm

I was down by Lindsey on Friday and the conditions up high were sub par. It down-poured most of the night Thursday. The morning started off clear-ish, but the weather eventually forced a retreat. There had been a combination of rain and snow up high and the conditions were kind of crappy. Never even so much as glimpsed a peek at any of the high peaks through the clouds. Wouldn't have known they were there if you weren't familiar with the area.
when the moon first rose tonight, my eyes were met with such a beautiful sight. a feeling deep inside so hard to explain, so familiar yet impossible to name. this is the place where dreams come true, a part of me and a part of you. this is where our spirits fly, on beams of light across the sky...and i'll meet you, in the valley of the full moon. as bright as the sun, in the middle of the afternoon.

Postby utepasspro » Mon May 25, 2009 2:13 pm

dubsho3000 wrote:I was down on Humboldt last week (thursday) and could never really see the summit. It did seem that the base of the couloir that is commonly skied was in, but it disappeared into the clouds. Sorry I can't be more help than that.

I did update the TH status - you shouldn't have to do 18 miles unless you only have 2wd. As far as the rest of the hike - we postholed quite a bit to and from the lakes. Past that the snow seemed to clear out, but there were still some patches to cross. We didn't get to the saddle as we were cold and wet and didn't really feel like the views were going to make the effort worth it (i.e. inside of a cloud).

Matt

Yup- I went out today and you're still about right. The saddle and higher looked to be almost clear of snow, but in going to the lake I followed footprints that took me off course for a while and, naturally, that's when I started to post-hole pretty frequently. I did have to go from the 2wd lot because my wife had a tantrum when I asked her to drive my car today, which is stick. :shock: So, we got just shy of the lake when my dog started to glissade back down and I took my cues from her- I was pretty tired anyway so we went back.
Next time I go out there it will be closer to the middle of the summer and I'll take the 4wd. It looks like if you can make it to the lake Humboldt is easily do-able right now. It even looked like the adjacent mountains had much more snow on them than Humboldt did.
"There are three kinds of patriots, two bad, one good. The bad ones are the uncritical lovers and the loveless critics. Good patriots carry on a lover's quarrel with their country, a reflection of God's lover's quarrel with all the world.” - William Sloane Coffin

Postby shredthegnar10 » Fri May 29, 2009 9:35 am

Summited Humboldt yesterday; there is a lot of snow in the basin and by the lakes. Postholed quite a bit on the part of the route leading up from the lake to the ridge, and even on the ridge itself -- there's some windloaded snow on the right (south) side of the ridge, which is what makes postholing a problem there.
There's a fine line between being a badass and being a dumbass.

ACONCAGUA STYLE