Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Shavano today

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Shavano today

Postby Aubrey » Sat May 23, 2009 4:43 pm

Attempted Shavano today (5/23) but didn't make it past 13,600 (TR later). Wanted to share conditions. This morning, it was extremely foggy with only 50 feet (less at times) of visibility ... all the way up. The snow blended perfectly in with the sky -- all white up there. The standard route started to see snow above 12k, and beyond treeline there was significantly more snow. It was hard to tell what was new and what was old, but I imagine the upper reaches saw at least 3 to 6 inches of new snow (just guessing). The Angel wasn't defined.

Originally we hoped to go up the Angel, but it rained all night and temps were higher than freezing at the trailhead, so we didn't think it'd be safe. The snow even above treeline was soft and slushy, though not much accumulated on the rocks above the standard trail.

If you go, don't follow the tracks up the slope ... they bypass the saddle and go on to Pt 13,6 south of Shav (not the east ridge pt).

I'm sure neighboring peaks got some new snow as well, though it probably only stuck up high (too warm in the lower elevations) ... tomorrow's forecast doesn't look much better.

Gotta run, so I don't hog the bandwidth at this cafe. Hope this helps someone.

Re: Shavano today

Postby BAUMGARA » Sat May 23, 2009 6:28 pm

Yeah the couloirs and snow fields on Evan's north face sounds like what you described. My crampons accumulated about a bricks worth of snow on the toe and heal, knocking it off about every 30' got old.

Postby emcee smith » Sat May 23, 2009 6:29 pm

Not surprising, we ran into the same stuff on Antero. Turned around about 13,700'. The worst part is now I have to drive back up the road.
Attachments
PICT1088 small.JPG
CarpeDM and Okie on Antero
PICT1088 small.JPG (68.59 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
"Chug a luggin up one side, glidin down the other, [I'm] a lover of the other side of the hill"

Postby lowebacker » Sat May 23, 2009 7:42 pm

^^Hey Emcee Smith. This is completely off topic, but what kind of dog is that in the picture you posted? It's tough to tell from the pic, but it sort of looks like a Treeing Walker Coonhound. I am just curious because we have two of them and I have never seen or heard of someone else having that kind of dog out here. Sorry for highjacking the thread.

Postby AdgePeakster » Sat May 23, 2009 8:37 pm

A friend and I did the Snow Angel route on Shavano and made it to the summit on Friday; We didn't use snowshoes or anything special. Surprisingly, it wasn't cold, though it snowed the whole day. The trail was hard to navigate with the snow but we just headed for the Angel and made it. It was a bummer not to be able to see anything on the summit but when we were heading down the clouds started to lift and we could see the whole valley. Looks like all the Collegiates got blasted this weekend from what we could tell.
"While God's glory is written all over His work, in wilderness the letters are capitalized." ~John Muir

Postby jstouder » Sun May 24, 2009 7:33 pm

Drove by the angel today, thought this picture might help someone out.
Attachments
IMG_9766.jpg
IMG_9766.jpg (120.95 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
Isaiah 2:2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

Re: Shavano 5/24/09

Postby rijaca » Mon May 25, 2009 11:35 am

Shavano conditions as of 5/24/09:

Trail essentially snow free to timberline (a couple of drifts near t-line), and 2-6" of new snow covering the trail beyond that. White out conditions (and snow fall) in the morning and early afternoon, clearing slightly after that (see jstouder photo). Be careful in the white out conditions, my partner saved a party of two from descending into Squaw Creek instead of descending the Angel.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby CarpeDM » Mon May 25, 2009 2:29 pm

lowebacker wrote:^^Hey Emcee Smith. This is completely off topic, but what kind of dog is that in the picture you posted? It's tough to tell from the pic, but it sort of looks like a Treeing Walker Coonhound. I am just curious because we have two of them and I have never seen or heard of someone else having that kind of dog out here. Sorry for highjacking the thread.

Lowebacker,
That is me and my dog, Okie, in the photo. When I got him from the Boulder Humane Society 4 years ago, they told me he was a "beagle mix." I've never known for sure what he's mixed with, but I have considered the possibility of foxhound or other similar hounds. He definitely seems all scenthound to me, and bigger than a full-bred beagle (and smaller than an adult treeing walker hound). He's summited 27 14ers with me, and we just missed his 28th on Saturday.
"Skepticism is the first step towards truth." - Denis Diderot
"It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition." - Bertrand Russell
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
"Some say they're goin' to a place called Glory And I ain't saying it ain't a fact. But I've heard that I'm on the road to Purgatory And I don't like the sound of that.
I believe in love and I live my life accordingly. But I choose to let the mystery be" - Iris Dement

Postby catbus-x » Mon May 25, 2009 3:59 pm

I was on Elbert the day after and I have to abort at 13,900ft. A storm with ice and snow, couldn't see far from 10 yards. Very cold. I'm writing from my blackberry.

Postby Tabasco78 » Mon May 25, 2009 6:58 pm

Made it to the top of Shavano today. Was an overall beautiful day, just packed snow slog to the top from timberline and a soft obnoxious snow slog back down. Didn't have the energy to go over to Tabby. Damn, I'm tired.

Postby Aubrey » Mon May 25, 2009 9:32 pm

Postby BKS » Tue May 26, 2009 8:14 am

My two boys and I were on Shavano yesterday. We left a Sweetwater filter at 10800 at the first creek crossing. It was gone when we came down. Anybody find it? I'd like to get it back

Next