Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Effect of rain on snow conditions?

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Effect of rain on snow conditions?

Postby NYRyan » Sat May 23, 2009 11:28 am

I'm new to snow climbing and I was wondering what effect rain has on climbing conditions. Specifically, I'm wondering what snow conditions will be like a day or two after a rain storm.
Thank you Bill M for this great site.

Re: Effect of rain on snow conditions?

Postby colorado yooper » Sat May 23, 2009 1:19 pm

It depends on so many factors. they might be: sun hit, daytime and nighttime temperature, temp at certain times of day, steepness, the previous weeks weather prior to the rain storm, aspect etc. The only 'safe' thing to do is to evaluate conditions as you go or stay at home and watch sports which in the long run will kill you too! :shock:
To the High Crags!

Postby centrifuge » Sat May 23, 2009 1:29 pm

There are a ton of factors that play into it, but generally it can saturate the snow pack with water and significantly increase the possibility of a wet slide. If there is a solid freeze the night after a rain storm, it would generally stabailize the pack, but the only real way to know if that has occured is to evaluate the conditions where you are at. Personally, I do not climb within 24 hours of a rain storm this time of year unless I am certain there has been a solid freeze the night before I climb.
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order

Postby NYRyan » Sat May 23, 2009 1:34 pm

Thanks very much for the help
Thank you Bill M for this great site.