Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

El Diente via Kilpacker T.H.

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

El Diente via Kilpacker T.H.

Postby Eagle eye 1 » Sat May 23, 2009 9:05 am

I made an attempt to climb El Diente May 22-09. The road from Dunton is open, and in good shape all the way to the T. H. The trail is really muddy with Spring run off. Once you get into the trees there is still anywhere from no snow, to 3' to 4' of snow! The sign marking the trail to El Diente was only visible by a few inches. Had a real time of it staying on the trail to the lower water fall due to deep snow. I did not need snowshoes, the snow was solid enough to keep me from postholeing, but gators are a must. Once at the lower water fall, no camping here, unless you want to camp in mud and water. I made it to timberline and turned back because the weather was really getting bad. Not much snow above timberline. Once back in the trees, I made the trail a little easier to follow by scuffing the snow with my boots. I would give this route another 2-3 weeks before trying it. Hope this helps for anybody curious about this approach.