Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

So you have a half day...

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

So you have a half day...

Postby xujrbill » Thu May 21, 2009 8:55 am

For arguments sake, you get off work next week on weds and thursday at 11am both days. You may or may not work in Aurora. You want to bag a different 14er both afternoons (assuming weather is a nonfactor). What does time/daylight/length of hike tell you which mountain to hike up? I'm assuming Sherman, Beirstadt, and Quandary might be pretty easy options with travel time and estimated hike time. Anything I'm missing here? In other words, what would you do??

Re: So you have a half day...

Postby Jim Davies » Thu May 21, 2009 8:58 am

Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like a bad idea. Lightning, postholing, darkness. Maybe something lower and closer to home would be a good idea.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Rich H » Thu May 21, 2009 9:21 am

one of the best climbs out of denver on a half day of work is Kelso ridge on Torreys. Just try to time it so you summit by dark.

Postby xujrbill » Thu May 21, 2009 9:27 am

Postholing and darkness is planned for and not a problem with me. Now lightning and I don't get along, which is why the weather is going to have final say about whether i actually go up high or do something else. Let's assume perfect weather, what would you do?

Postby Jim Davies » Thu May 21, 2009 9:34 am

Take a cell phone and a sleeping bag. Maybe read Colorado 14er Disasters first.

Seriously, unless you're highly experienced (doubtful, given the nature of your question), I think you're heading for trouble.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby xujrbill » Thu May 21, 2009 9:48 am

...who doesn't enjoy being judged...

Postby covfrrider » Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 am

I think what Jim meant to say was "as long as you climb wearing all cotton, you'll be fine" :roll:

Postby xujrbill » Thu May 21, 2009 9:53 am

I was also planning on climbing in flip-flops and not bringing water. After all, less load to carry... [-X

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Thu May 21, 2009 10:12 am

xujrbill wrote:...who doesn't enjoy being judged...

No kidding.

I'm guessing drive-time would be the biggest factor, followed by approach logistics since some of the access roads are probably still snow-bound. Maybe Sherman, Quandary, Princeton?, Grays, Torreys would fit the bill.

Postby Jcwhite » Thu May 21, 2009 10:15 am

Jim Davies wrote:Take a cell phone and a sleeping bag. Maybe read Colorado 14er Disasters first.

Seriously, unless you're highly experienced (doubtful, given the nature of your question), I think you're heading for trouble.

That's pretty over the top.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Postby George Kaplan » Thu May 21, 2009 10:20 am

The only 14er I would personally consider doable for me in this situation would be the standard route up Gray's. The drive isn't too long, any midday storms would hopefully be dissipated by the time I hiked up the road to the TH, and even though I would expect to run out of daylight (hopefully after getting back to the main TH for the hike back down the road), I wouldn't be afraid of getting lost since the route and terrain is pretty straight-forward.

That said, I'd still probably hold off on any 14er's until I had a full day off. There's another thread on the forums somewhere where a bunch of people listed off a number of great "training hikes" in the foothills from Ft. Collins down to Colorado Springs. Any of these hikes would be perfect for a half-day.

Postby George Kaplan » Thu May 21, 2009 10:23 am

This is the thread I mentioned above that has some good halfday hikes:

http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18791

Next