Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Best Posthole Picture

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Best Posthole Picture

Postby jstouder » Thu May 21, 2009 8:46 am

I offer the following picture up as the best posthole picture. With its equal parts of scenery and postholery, it fully encompasses the delicate balance between majesty and insanity.

En route to Bierstadt, through the willows, taken with a Kodak disposable. Enjoy!
Attachments
R1-11.jpg
Posthole Fun
R1-11.jpg (182.88 KiB) Viewed 1830 times
Isaiah 2:2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

Re: Best Posthole Picture

Postby Johnson » Thu May 21, 2009 8:53 am

Up until last week, my question to ask, in which the answer is, "The answer is nothing", was, "Do you know what is worse than postholling?" Now, however, the question is, "What is worse than getting all the way to the trail head and finding out you left some critical item which trashes for plans for the hike?" The answer is nothing! I wish I could be postholling right now!!
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby Jon Frohlich » Thu May 21, 2009 9:11 am

I maintain you haven't really postholed until you've been up to your waist in sugar snow with a thin breakable crust on top. That picture just looks like a nice day out... :D

Postby jstouder » Thu May 21, 2009 9:21 am

If you look closely, about five steps back, that cavernous hole fulfills your postholing description requirements. Also, this pic was taken before things got real bad.
Isaiah 2:2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

Postby Aubrey » Thu May 21, 2009 9:21 am

jstouder wrote:"...delicate balance between majesty and insanity"

Nice quote and pic, although, those holes don’t look too deep.

I've seen some pretty deep ones before. Some so deep that people could almost confuse them for crevasses. :D

A couple weekends ago we encountered some bottomless dark holes in the Missouri Gulch (on the way up Belford) that were deeper than the length of my legs. Gotta wear a cup and a jock strap in those situations.

Then, last Saturday, we came across some pretty deep ones on Pikes' east slope that actually had that glacial-blue tint to them. When I put my ear to one, I swear I could almost hear some people speaking Chinese.

Postby rijaca » Thu May 21, 2009 9:29 am

Jon Frohlich wrote:I maintain you haven't really postholed until you've been up to your waist in sugar snow with a thin breakable crust on top. ... :D

...with snowshoes on.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby bckcntryskr » Thu May 21, 2009 9:31 am

Hate the posthole. It is an evil deed.....My avatar shows the horrible task at waist
Did I mention that "I hate postholing"

Postby bckcntryskr » Thu May 21, 2009 9:32 am

Okay maybe at knee.......still hate it.
Did I mention that "I hate postholing"

Postby Jon Frohlich » Thu May 21, 2009 9:34 am

rijaca wrote:
Jon Frohlich wrote:I maintain you haven't really postholed until you've been up to your waist in sugar snow with a thin breakable crust on top. ... :D

...with snowshoes on.

Yes, forgot that part. There was plentiful cursing that day.

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Thu May 21, 2009 9:37 am

Postby Jim Davies » Thu May 21, 2009 9:37 am

rijaca wrote:

...with snowshoes on.

After my personal Guanella Pass posthole epic, I had to get the bindings replaced on both of my MSR snowshoes. Every time I fell in, they'd get snarled in the hidden willows. I think some of those "postholes" were more like snow caves.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby CO Native » Thu May 21, 2009 9:38 am

Postholing up to the belly:
16.jpg
16.jpg (71.37 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Next