Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Full Moon Hike

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Full Moon Hike

Postby jibler » Wed May 27, 2009 9:49 am

This is my kind of thread!

I've been plotting various moon ascents for years...have only successfully pulled one off. But it wasn't an overnight kind of thing. I just hiked up to Mt Sherman really late, watched the sundown and then went back down via moonlight. Those old mine buidlings were super creepy in the moonlight!

Seems to me you've got to be on a SW slope so that you can actually see the moon....Shavano could be killer!

I'm dog sitting for the june moon though....I might try to hit the shelter near Holy Cross (which I just discovered existed) in july....
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken", Colonel Sanders

Postby tripfour » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:15 am

Did anyone attempt a full moon hike around June 6th? I'd be interested in reading about your sucesses and/or troubles.

Also, how much longer does it take to hike at night than during the day? For example, if it normally takes you 2 hours for a 4 mile hike how much time would it take at night?

Postby TylerStorm » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:09 am

I was with a group on Mount Elbert on June 7th. We started at three in the morning, so the whole hike wasn't exactly at night, but it was still pretty cool. Sunrise at 12,500 feet is breathtaking!!! :D I highly recommend it! As far as the duration, it depends on the difficulty of the terrain and one's experience with it. Good Luck!

-Tyler-
Wisdom is the quality of being able to avoid situations where you need it. not sure

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them. Henry David Thoreau

Postby muzik83 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:26 pm

I'm planning to do a full moon hike to Shavy and Taby on July 7. I'll post again closer to the date. I'd enjoy anyone's company.

Postby royce » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:42 pm

I'm attempting my first 14er next weekend on Elbert. Just wondering about the conditions at the top. We're doing the SW ridge and wondering if we'll need snowshoes or crampons and weather winter clothes are needed. Probably stupid questions, but just moved from the flatlands (Chicago) - pumped for a life in the mountains! Thanks!

Postby jimlup » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:35 pm

royce wrote:I'm attempting my first 14er next weekend on Elbert. Just wondering about the conditions at the top. We're doing the SW ridge and wondering if we'll need snowshoes or crampons and weather winter clothes are needed. Probably stupid questions, but just moved from the flatlands (Chicago) - pumped for a life in the mountains! Thanks!

Hi Royce,

Welcome to 14ers.com. I'm also from the flatlands but know that while Elbert will likely still have snow given recent conditions it will not require crampons. It doesn't require crampons even in the winter - just snowshoes. Snowshoes probably aren't needed now but let someone with recent knowledge of the conditions answer that. My guess is that it is melted out most of the way by now. You should have some serious clothing just in case it gets cold and windy or you have to spend longer out than you expect (gloves, wind- blocking coat) but you won't need "winter" clothing. Check the recent trip reports from Elbert or Mt. Massive and post your question by starting a new thread in the 14er Information/Conditions section since people will ignore this thread if they aren't doing the full moon hikes.

Cheers!
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...

Postby rijaca » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:46 pm

royce wrote:I'm attempting my first 14er next weekend on Elbert. Just wondering about the conditions at the top. We're doing the SW ridge and wondering if we'll need snowshoes or crampons and weather winter clothes are needed. Probably stupid questions, but just moved from the flatlands (Chicago) - pumped for a life in the mountains! Thanks!

I agree with Jimlup. Also, I would recheck the route you're intending to take; the SW ridge of Elbert extends over Bull Hill, a high 13er to the SW.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Previous