Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Full Moon Hike

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Full Moon Hike

Postby mcutt » Wed May 20, 2009 4:51 pm

Last summer my hiking buddy and I climbed Grays/Torreys in July on the full moon, we got to see the sun come up from the summit. We wanted to try it again this summer, any ideas for what mountains might be good to try? We have done most of the front range mountains so would like to try something that we have not done before. But would also like to do something where we will not get lost in the dark. Any ideas would help?

Re: Full Moon Hike

Postby Brad » Wed May 20, 2009 5:49 pm

Are you looking to also get in a sunrise? Pikes from Barr Trail is easy to follow (unless there is snow up high) and you can get a totally unobstructed sunrise view. From there, you could even see first light over the horizon. That is my goal; hike Pikes and see first light, watching the sunrise for about an hour. You would probably have to start the hike around 8 or 9 PM though.

Postby mcutt » Wed May 20, 2009 7:04 pm

Thanks for the reply, I have hiked Pikes was looking for something new but not extremely difficult.

Postby GIS_Dave » Wed May 20, 2009 7:41 pm

i was on that july 19th full moon trip to grays n torreys with me black dog. great trip. how bout holy cross halo? hike to the shelter friday evening, get a little bit of shut-eye, do halo ridge under moonlight and catch sunrise from the summite of holy cross....
the great oudoors is ours to enjoy, not destroy.

Postby GIS_Dave » Wed May 20, 2009 7:42 pm

"with me black dog."

haha! i swear, i'm not a pirate. just a bad typer.
the great oudoors is ours to enjoy, not destroy.

Postby schumi248 » Wed May 20, 2009 7:50 pm

I was there too, I was the one that barely started it and the altitude started to get to me, however I should be better acclimated this year, being that I am living in Granby for the summer. That should help ALOT. My vote goes to something really easy. San Luis, Handies. How do those sound, I know they are farther away, but you haven't done them????

Postby jimlup » Wed May 20, 2009 8:16 pm

schumi248 wrote:I was there too, I was the one that barely started it and the altitude started to get to me, however I should be better acclimated this year, being that I am living in Granby for the summer. That should help ALOT. My vote goes to something really easy. San Luis, Handies. How do those sound, I know they are farther away, but you haven't done them????

I'd be up for Handies or San Luis but might have some difficulty getting to the San Juans. Last year I screwed up the Saturday morning/Sunday night thing and thus missed the climb :oops: I checked Google calendar and found that the possible dates would be June 7th (Sunday), July 7th (Tuesday), August 6th (Thursday). What are people thinking in terms of date? Obviously the dates are flexible since the moon is essentially "full" for several days. I'd be more interested if I weren't planning to be on Rainier July 7th :mrgreen:
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...

Postby mcutt » Wed May 20, 2009 8:37 pm

Holy Cross would be cool. What about something like Huron?

Postby globreal » Wed May 20, 2009 8:44 pm

Hey there...I too was on that full moon July 19th hike on Grays/Torreys. What an awesome experience! I would be up to do another moon light hike this summer. I think I would vote for San Luis as I've got Handies planned for late June.

What are people thinking? Is the June 6-7 a possibility?
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby TylerStorm » Wed May 20, 2009 9:30 pm

I'm coming down there for the summer and would be willing to join. However, I don't have any experience on snow, so that could possibly be an issue. I did just purchase a BD Raven Pro ice axe and have been reading "Freedom of the Hills." But anyway, if you all wouldn't mind having a novice on board, I am interested.
Wisdom is the quality of being able to avoid situations where you need it. not sure

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them. Henry David Thoreau

Postby moon stalker » Wed May 20, 2009 10:08 pm

Unless the trail for San Luis has improved quite a bit over the last few years, I would not recommend it for a full moon hike. I did it in 2004 (?) as a full moon hike and got way off trail in a thoroughly overgrown section of the trail. I lost the trail in the daylight coming back too. And it's not like I'm really bad following trails, or new to full moon hikes, there's not a single spring, summer, fall or full moon that passes that I don't take advantage of. Anyway, I had issues with San Luis below treeline.
Ignoring the Front Range, I would recommend Sherman, Quandary, Harvard, Columbia, Elbert, just to start. You might look for something that starts close to treeline or at least has a very good trail (especially a road) up to treeline. French is great too, although it's not a 14er.
Have fun.
LIFE is what happens when plans go awry.

Postby larkinrx2 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:45 am

how about belford/oxford?
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Next