Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Challenger/Kit Carson - Willow Lake

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Challenger/Kit Carson - Willow Lake

Postby gpeoples » Wed May 20, 2009 12:28 pm

Has anyone scouted around the Willow creek trialhead lately? I see the trailhead is open, but not sure about the 5 mile trek to Willow Lake and beyond. I like everyone else am interested in a fun Memorial Day 14er weekend, so my goal would be to camp at Willow Lake and knock off both Challenger and Kit Carson. Hope Willow Lake isn't still frozen, because of the need for filtering water. I will take ice axe and crampons, but was hoping to not use snowshoes. Also, concerned about route finding if snow obscures many parts of the route, would rather stay on the established route as much as possible. Postholing isn't my friend. :mrgreen:

Haven't found any hiking trip reports for this area yet. Looks like a lot of snow still in the area, so any information would be helpful.
The mountains will always be there, the trick is to make sure you are too. - Hervey Voge

Re: Challenger/Kit Carson - Willow Lake

Postby giarcd » Wed May 20, 2009 4:22 pm

A group climbed Kit Carson 4/26/09 --- Trip report by Kiefer---may get useful info from any in group---check out report and pics!

Postby Doug Shaw » Sun May 24, 2009 8:26 pm

Was up there this weekend, see my report - such as it is - here.

Postby gpeoples » Mon May 25, 2009 8:59 am

Thanks for the Beta. Will wait until June for some Sangre de Cristo action.
The mountains will always be there, the trick is to make sure you are too. - Hervey Voge