Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Guanella Pass Access Status

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Guanella Pass Access Status

Postby KenB » Tue May 19, 2009 12:41 pm

I just got this update from the CMC:

Guanella Pass Road is closed on the Grant side from the Naylor Lake turn off to Burning Bear until May 22, 2009. They hope to reopen this stretch on Saturday, May 23.

On the Georgetown side there is significant road construction which closes the road during the week just above Georgetown to the Power Plant and will last into 2010. The week day road closures are from 8:00AM to 11:00AM and from 1:00PM to 3:00PM.

The road is open on the weekends although there are several sections where motorists will need to wait for flag men signals to get through the one lane closure sections. All hikes/climbs in the area need to consider these road closure issues.

(This information was confirmed by the Gateway Visitor Center in Georgetown on March 19, 2009)

Re: Guanella Pass Access Status

Postby wjcrunner » Tue May 19, 2009 7:32 pm

I am not terribly familiar with the Guanella Pass Road, so I am not sure where Burning Bear is. How far from Grant can one drive without the use of a 4WD at this point? I can see where Naylor Lake is on a map, but I cannot seem to find Burning Bear. Any help would be appreciated as I am hoping to camp/hike Bierstadt later this week.

Postby DHatfield » Wed May 20, 2009 6:23 am

wjcrunner, Burning Bear is located about halfway down the south side of Guanella Pass toward Grant.

Postby jstouder » Wed May 20, 2009 6:44 am

I was in Georgetown and hiked Bierstadt on 5/7. The crews are working 9am-3pm. They will allow traffic through from 11am-1pm. What no one tells you is that you will have to wait 30 minutes during that time frame, for the crews to move the crane. Be sure to get there no later than noon if you plan on making it through.

If you do make it through, you might want to have an overnight plan. I didn't and almost got stuck.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5877&start=50&cpgm=tripmain
Isaiah 2:2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

Postby LAW » Wed May 20, 2009 10:50 am

FYI - From the Hwy 285 (Grant side), the road is gated just before mile marker 12 (where the new pavement ends). This is about 1.5 miles from the top of the pass. The road beyond this point is entirely clear as are the parking lots.

Based on air temp the lower trail is mixed dirt, mud, running water, packed & soft snow. River crossing may be and issue again based on temps, may have to step on rocks under running water to gap between big boulder and East side. As of last night, there was still a strong snow bridge north of small beaver pond (short distance left of trail crossing).

Postby gpeoples » Wed May 20, 2009 2:22 pm

So I guess the bottom line here is: On the weekend, you may just be delayed because of the one-lane road and a flagman on the Georgetown side, Correct? No construction crews out on the weekend it sounds like. Then for the Grant side, it looks like smooth sailing after the 23rd, so no delays at all from Grant for Memorial Day if I am reading this correct????
The mountains will always be there, the trick is to make sure you are too. - Hervey Voge

Postby LAW » Wed May 20, 2009 5:06 pm

No construction on the South side now, if they open the gate it should be about as good as it gets.

Postby paul109876 » Thu May 21, 2009 8:25 am

Okay, I've got the google maps from Grant to the TH. and from Idaho Springs to Grant.

But 1 question not answered, is the road from Grant to the TH paved?

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Postby paul109876 » Thu May 21, 2009 8:29 am

what a DA, well that didn't work.........

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... =UTF8&z=10

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 78906&z=10

lets try this :roll:

Postby paul109876 » Thu May 21, 2009 8:31 am

screw it, I got my map you'll have to get your own........

Postby yorksman » Thu May 21, 2009 8:31 am

The road from Grant to the Trailhead is only paved on one section of the hill, the whole road is driveable in any car.
http://www.jodygrigg.com - Mountains scenes of Colorado and more.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jody-Grigg-Photography/262024160516067 Jody Grigg Photography Facebook

Postby gpeoples » Fri May 22, 2009 2:48 pm

FYI for everyone: I called the Gateway Visitor Center as suggested, contact info. provided below, and it is still up in the air as to if they will be opening the pass for tomorrow because snow is in the forecast. So, for you guys going up tomorrow, I guess it is 50/50 chance that from either Georgetown side or Grant side the gates will be open. Although from the post, it sounded like people were getting through on the Georgetown construction side, just delays.

Hope this helps for planning. I was hoping to go up on Sunday, so if anyone goes up on Saturday 23rd, please let us all know what you run into.

Thanks a lot,

Gateway Visitor Center Georgetown:
Open 8am to 8pm
1491 Argentine
Georgetown, CO 80444
(303) 569-2405
The mountains will always be there, the trick is to make sure you are too. - Hervey Voge

Next