Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Massive & North May 29

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Massive & North May 29

Postby James Scott » Wed May 20, 2009 11:50 am

highcomm-
I'm going up the same way next Friday, the 29th. Please post about the conditions as soon as you can. I'll appreciate any info I can get. Thanks!
James
"Some climb... to get to Terrapin."

Postby clemsonmtneer » Wed May 20, 2009 12:04 pm

Thanks highcomm! We didn't do any glissading, but if you're able to summit and head down a little earlier than we did, you could glissade the big snowfield I mentioned in my report that we climbed. The runout looked pretty safe to me.

Postby highcomm » Thu May 21, 2009 5:29 am

Thanks. I'll be sure to bring my best nylon pants!
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."

Postby James Scott » Mon May 25, 2009 9:26 am

Any new info on Massive from this weekend (Memorial Day)? What did that last week of rain in Denver do to the northern Sawatch? Is the snow still quickly melting, or is there new snow accumulation? I'm planning on going up Friday, and want all the info I can get. Thanks.
James
"Some climb... to get to Terrapin."

Postby killingcokes » Mon May 25, 2009 10:21 am

I went up Massive for a ski yesterday. I was able to stay in my shoes to 13800. It snowed while I was on the summit ridge (of course). There were only a few places on the summit ridge where I post-holed. The snow was mostly supportive along the ridge

The snow is absolutely mank on the SW Face. I kicked off a pretty large wet slide while skiing. The new snow is about 4 inches and the moisture content is about 50%. This new snow doesn't seem to be bonding well to the old dirty snow.

There is no freeze in the forecast. I'm not skiing again until it freezes

Previous