Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

4 day three night loop

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

4 day three night loop

Postby mtngoat » Tue May 12, 2009 4:35 am

I have two friends coming out from the midwest - in July. Both are in decent shape but I do not want to kill them. Currently I have a loop created through IPW, but I was curious to anyone's thoughts about 4 day loops that would be possible with a 14er in there, or maybe a couple. I would like to keep the mileage under 8 miles per day (or very close to it) and limit hiking on roads as much as possible.

I was thinking of this as a possible
Day 1
- Hike up Missouri Basin (drop camp)
- summit Belford, Oxford
- return/camp
Day 2
- break camp
- summit Missouri
- drop off the West side to Clohesy Lake
- camp near Clohesy
Day 3
- summit Huron via East slopes
- descend NW (standard) route
- camp near trail head
Day 4 - hike back down the road to the cars at Missouri Basin?

Thoughts on the stress/enjoyability factor on this option? I am open to any other suggestions (Front range or Sawatch). Thanks.
Last edited by mtngoat on Tue May 12, 2009 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.

Re: 4 day three night loop

Postby emcee smith » Tue May 12, 2009 6:12 am

I'm a wimp, but it sounds tough to me to pack camp over Missouri and Huron. If that is your trip, I would think about camping up near the Missouri trail turnoff (versus near the cabin) in the basin, then take the Elkhead pass route to Belford and back. At least your first climb would be a bit easier. Also, don't forget about the SW ridge of La Plata from Winfield to add a 5th from that road area.

If you haven't been in Missouri Gulch, it is a very pretty place. I enjoyed all of those 5 peaks (incl. La Plata) although the over and back to Oxford was tough.

As an alternate, you could return from Missouri, drive a couple of miles up to Winfield, then camp low and summit Huron (maybe including Brown's) and then La Plata from the same base camp.

Sounds like fun work any way you slice it.
"Chug a luggin up one side, glidin down the other, [I'm] a lover of the other side of the hill"

Postby MtnHermit » Tue May 12, 2009 6:18 am

I'd give it a few weeks, I was up at Cloyses yesterday and the snow above 10K is still deep and soft.

Postby SnowDevil » Tue May 12, 2009 6:51 am

How about the 4 pass loop around the Bells? There's plenty of info on this site for it.

Postby pioletski » Tue May 12, 2009 7:21 am

Dave: +1 on Snowdevil's suggestion about the 4 pass Maroon Bells loop (West Maroon, Trailrider, Frigid Air, Buckskin). I don't think there's a prettier tour anywhere. There is, of course, lots of snow out there right now... also, make sure they have a few days to get used to the altitude - maybe hike them up one or two "lesser" peaks near Denver before you crack the whip on a 14er - mistakes I have learned from in the past...
The greater danger, for most of us, is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low, and we reach it.
- Michelangelo

Postby mtngoat » Tue May 12, 2009 8:41 am

My apologies for not letting you know when we were going. It is not until Late July. I would love to hike around the Bells Area and I may throw that out there for discussion but that eats up a good 3+ hours just in the car from Denver. They will be here for a couple days before we start hiking so they should be fairly acclimatized (yet, another reason why I want to keep the days short.)

thanks for the suggestions. keep them coming!
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.

Postby Weegie5 » Tue May 12, 2009 10:05 am

emcee smith wrote:...Also, don't forget about the SW ridge of La Plata from Winfield to add a 5th from that road area...

I'm planning a similar hike for 4th of July weekend, but it is more of a thru hike than a loop; it requires a car at each end.
Check out the map.
3+ days, almost 30 miles, 5 summits

You could reverse the route and ascend Ellingwood Ridge on LaPlata and descend the SW ridge to Winfield.
~James

Postby mtngoat » Tue May 12, 2009 10:27 am

Weegie5 wrote:
emcee smith wrote:...Also, don't forget about the SW ridge of La Plata from Winfield to add a 5th from that road area...

I'm planning a similar hike for 4th of July weekend, but it is more of a thru hike than a loop; it requires a car at each end.
Check out the map.
3+ days, almost 30 miles, 5 summits

You could reverse the route and ascend Ellingwood Ridge on LaPlata and descend the SW ridge to Winfield.

Looks like a great route, but I am afraid my Kentucky friends are not up for something that intense. If we end up just hitting IPW, then I might keep this one in my back pocket.
-Dave

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Tue May 12, 2009 12:37 pm

mtngoat wrote:
Looks like a great route, but I am afraid my Kentucky friends are not up for something that intense. If we end up just hitting IPW, then I might keep this one in my back pocket.

If you wind up in the IPW, the Pawnee Pass - Buchanan Pass loop in the IPW is stellar. It's probably a little short for 4 days / 3 nights, but you could go at a leisurely pace and climb some of the mountains around it. One really good option would be an extra night at Crater Lake, at the base of Lone Eagle Peak.

Some photos from a run of it I did last year, on July 20:
http://www.chrisgerber.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=207

This is the west side of Buchanan Pass:

Postby myrone » Tue May 12, 2009 5:19 pm

I think your plans are fine and doable...........you're young and in decent shape. Go for it, man!! :)
Myrone
Colorado 14'ers

Postby mtngoat » Wed May 13, 2009 4:05 am

Chris Gerber wrote:
If you wind up in the IPW, the Pawnee Pass - Buchanan Pass loop in the IPW is stellar. It's probably a little short for 4 days / 3 nights, but you could go at a leisurely pace and climb some of the mountains around it. One really good option would be an extra night at Crater Lake, at the base of Lone Eagle Peak.

That's our current loop. Just thought I would throw out some other options if they wanted to nab a 14er on the trip. Thanks for the pics! Those are great!
-Dave

Postby audiotom » Wed May 13, 2009 6:32 am

wow Chris, just wow

That shot of lone eagle peak is surreal
I can sense the calmness

made that my background screen

I was considering a three day in early june (6-9) in the Crestones but might have to change plans

I have Roach's book on the area

Next