Easiest 14er?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
reinselc
14ers: 36 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Easiest 14er?

Post by reinselc »

Bierstadt is pretty easy, but I took my brother in law last year (26 year old) and he barely made it. He had even been hiking some, so it depends on your conditioning level whether it is easy or not.

I think Quandry has better views though.
smaddogc
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by smaddogc »

sherman
Hooper drives the boat Chief.....
aerophex
14ers: 15  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aerophex »

least difficult?

Sherman or Quandary

I know a few people who wouldn't consider Beirstadt "easy" nevermind "easiest"

Sherman, as previously stated, has cool mines around 13,200 and can make for a fun break place before hitting the hardest spot.
in mountains I trust
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I would add that depending on where you friend is coming in from, it will depend a lot on time spent acclimatizing, especially if coming from sea level. I need at least a day or two to get in "climbing shape" when coming in from where I live in New York (roughly +100ft above sea level).

As an example, coming in from NY, with 1/2 a day to acclimatize, I made it up Grays from I-70, but it took a long time and was very tiring going up. Conversely, on another trip, after six days spent above 8,000 feet, I was able to speed hike up Yale, Massive and Elbert on consecutive days then took a day off and made it up Holy Cross in gerat time and got faster each day.
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

This thread is from last summer.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

I think we're going to need the Baron to settle this debate. :roll:
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
LongLiveTheHuskers
14ers: 9  2 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by LongLiveTheHuskers »

My vote:
Attachments
beer.jpg
beer.jpg (18.1 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
BRING THE TROPHIES BACK TO LINCOLN - 76 Days Till Kickoff
fnsf
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fnsf »

I'm confused about the "difficulty" classification. I can understand that there's a difference between the difficulty of routes "grouped by exposure"and a general degree of difficulty. But why is there a difference between the rating system in the "diffulty rating system" (class 1 to class 5) and the "routes grouped by difficulty (easiest to most difficult)"? On the "routes grouped by difficulty" page, the "easiest" category has 7 mountains with Class 1 trails, but 7 other mountains with Class 2 trails. All of the 25 "moderate" mountains are Class 2 (although some of those are "2 difficult"). All of the "difficult" peaks have class 3 trails - except Mt. Lindsey, which has a "2-difficult" trail. And all of the "most difficult" mountains are limited to those with Class 4 routes - except Crestone Needle, that has a Class 3 trail. Shouldn't all of the "easiest" mountains have Class 1 trails, "moderate" mountains have Class 2 trails, and so forth?
cwm191
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cwm191 »

fnsf wrote:I'm confused about the "difficulty" classification. I can understand that there's a difference between the difficulty of routes "grouped by exposure"and a general degree of difficulty. But why is there a difference between the rating system in the "diffulty rating system" (class 1 to class 5) and the "routes grouped by difficulty (easiest to most difficult)"? On the "routes grouped by difficulty" page, the "easiest" category has 7 mountains with Class 1 trails, but 7 other mountains with Class 2 trails. All of the 25 "moderate" mountains are Class 2 (although some of those are "2 difficult"). All of the "difficult" peaks have class 3 trails - except Mt. Lindsey, which has a "2-difficult" trail. And all of the "most difficult" mountains are limited to those with Class 4 routes - except Crestone Needle, that has a Class 3 trail. Shouldn't all of the "easiest" mountains have Class 1 trails, "moderate" mountains have Class 2 trails, and so forth?
More than just the difficulty rating is considered when dividing them into four groups. Round-trip length, elevation gain, stability of trail, etc. all go into determining which ones should be called "Easiest" versus "Moderate." A lot of this is subjective, but it's reasonable to conclude that Quandary at almost 7 miles and 3450' gain is harder than Sherman at 5 miles and 2100' of gain even though they both warrant the "Easiest" category relative to slightly more challenging peaks like Elbert.
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain. - Friedrich Schiller

The problem with quotes on the internet is there is no way to verify their accuracy. - Abraham Lincoln
guitarczar
14ers: 8 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by guitarczar »

based on my very limited experience i would say Handies from the American Basin - short class 1 hike with incredible views !
"the rocky mountain way is better than the way we had"
LetsGoHigher
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by LetsGoHigher »

I'm going to second the votes for Handies via the American Basin route. Just got back a few hours ago from doing it with a couple newbs and all did great. Spectacular views, well defined trail, and only a few steep parts that are quite short before leveling out again.
Is that the summit?
Robzilla
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Robzilla »

Add my vote for Handies from American Basin. I didn't even mean to climb it, I was just there poking around the trailhead and realized how easy it was. Tremendous views too.