Difficulty rating of Shavano to Tabegauche

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Difficulty rating of Shavano to Tabegauche

Post by dpage »

tobiasfunke wrote:Nobody seems to think it is class 3. So the question is should it be counted as 2 or 2+. At that point, does the difference even matter?
It doesn't matter.
JimR
14ers: 56 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (8)

Post by JimR »

The fact that it doesn't have a defined trail is what bumps it up from class 1 to class 2.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

tobiasfunke wrote:Nobody seems to think it is class 3. So the question is should it be counted as 2 or 2+. At that point, does the difference even matter?
The distinction between class 2 and 2+ depends on whether you had 2 or 2+ summit beers on top
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

No, just no. It's class 2. Period. If it's more difficult, you're off route.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

I kind of understand what the OP is saying. Sometimes you're dealing with big rocks and you're not really climbing in the sense you're going up or down a rock wall, but you're using your hands to make your way through the rocks. It's a little bit more annoying than hard (which makes it class 2), but if you aren't careful, you can end up hurting yourself if you fall into a gap between the rocks. I remember the climb up Ice Mtn. and other 13ers being like this, although I can't really recall what the traverse from Shavano to Tabegauche was like. It's been too long.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Richard Derkase wrote:
bergsteigen wrote:
How do you get off route on the connecting ridge between Shav/Tab?

Just sayin.

Dick
People ended up in McCoy gulch and needed to be rescued. Just sayin.
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

Bad route finding and path selection does not increase the classification of the "standard route."
Class 2.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

SnowAlien wrote:
Richard Derkase wrote:
bergsteigen wrote:
How do you get off route on the connecting ridge between Shav/Tab?

Just sayin.

Dick
People ended up in McCoy gulch and needed to be rescued. Just sayin.
And unfortunately it has happened multiple times.
Here are some details from one of the more recent times:
https://www.facebook.com/ChaffeeCountyS ... 10/?type=3
http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?st ... D%21%21%21

And Shav/Tab ridge being class 2+? If someone thinks that is class 2+, either you are way off route or are going to be in for a rough surprise on all the rest of the peaks you climb compared with the guidebooks.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

SnowAlien wrote:People ended up in McCoy gulch and needed to be rescued. Just sayin.
If you're going down the ridge from Shavano and wind up in McCoy Gulch, it's not because it's class 3.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

JQDivide wrote:If you need a solid trail on every hike.... go to a city park. These are mountains.
If you're looking for a jerk just say something in an online forum, they'll find you.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I agree that the route is class 2. One of the "problems" with 14ers popularity is that many of the class 2 routes have developed significant climbers trails that have reduced their difficulty. In my opinion, most class 2 14ers have actually been downgraded to class 1+, as they are mostly trail with some minor rock hopping. Its rare to have significant stretches of truly "off-trail hiking", which is the basic definition of what class 2 means.

The reason by Bel-Ox may have seemed easier is that it has a lot less class 2 due to a significant amount of climbers trail. I haven't done the Shav-Tab pair since 2009, or Bel-Ox in summer condition since 2012, so my memory may be a bit foggy on just how much climbers trail each combo has, but I would feel confident in saying that when it comes to class 2, Shav-Tab is well within the expectation. I know a few posts have come off perhaps harsh, but I would say to the OP that your experience on Shav-Tab should be what you expect of a class 2 14er route and that future class 2 routes, you should plan on being similar. When people are not used to talus field, they tend to use their hands a lot for balance, that does not make a route jump a class as you are not using your hands for upward mobility. Class 2 talus can be large and blocky and sometimes rather unstable so the occasional hand-plant certainly helps you feel more stable, which is also why many people like trekking poles on class 2 routes. Good luck with your future climbs, hope this was helpful.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

There's nothing over class 2 about that saddle. You can walk the entire thing. Yes, there's some large rocks you might need to hop down, but that's literally the definition of class 2:
Class 2: Simple scrambling, with the possibility of occasional use of the hands
Even the Tabegauche west ridge is rated class 2 and involves far, far more hand use near the summit than anywhere on the S/T saddle. That one I think is an incorrect rating.