Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Longs Peak Trips

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Longs Peak Trips

Postby rbailey23 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:28 pm

Has anyone successfully climbed the Keyhole route since it opened again? If so, what kind of conditions were present? The latest conditions report says "crampons and axes are a must," for the other route. ROMO's website shows some significant snow as well.

Just trying to see if we can (safely) get in a final trek before the end of the season!

Re: Longs Peak Trips

Postby awilbur77 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:50 pm

With the government shutdown, I think you are screwed anyway since RMNP is closed.
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller

Postby peter303 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:37 am

I suspect you can park on the road and "sneak in". The parking lot and campground will probably be closed.

Heavy snow expected Thursday through Saturday.

Postby Voodoo302 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:21 am

The Longs Peak Trailhead parking area isn't technically in the park, is it? So could it remain open? The ranger hut would be closed of course but I wonder...

Postby peter303 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:56 am

The Rocky Mountain National Park website has been turned off for the duration of shutdown. All links go to this:
http://www.nps.gov/shutdown/index.html

Rather dangerous, since people depend on their conditions info.

Postby tlongpine » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:39 am

peter303 wrote:The Rocky Mountain National Park website has been turned off for the duration of shutdown. All links go to this:
http://www.nps.gov/shutdown/index.html

Rather dangerous, since people depend on their conditions info.

Don't let the bastards get you down. If you know the link, use http://archive.org/web/web.php to access archived snapshots of the site(s).
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby rbailey23 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:36 pm

Yeah...I posted on the 30th in hopes that our gov't would get their s*** together before the deadline. I probably should have known better.

Guess we'll have to wait until next year. [-(

Postby altidude » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:54 pm

First the flooding, now the shutdown...

It's a sign. I'm not supposed to finish yet. 8-[
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe maƱana

Postby JROSKA » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:15 pm

peter303 wrote:Rather dangerous, since people depend on their conditions info.

But why bother with conditions updates when people aren't supposed to be in the park anyways? It seems better to direct folks to the place where they can learn about the shutdown situation, as opposed to encouraging them to break the law. Anyone who chooses to walk through that "closed" sign, must take complete and full responsibility for that choice, and they certainly can't expect any assistance (from preparation to possible rescue) from RMNP.