Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mittens by Wiggy's

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Mittens by Wiggy's

Postby oldschool » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:55 pm

I did Massive yesterday and my fingers got real cold for a spell. Got to thinking about new mittens/gloves. I know mittens are warmer and some of the guys on the trip had bomb looking mittens by Black Diamond and North Face. I got on the web today and checked them out. Pricey bastards! Then I decided to look at Wiggy's. I have a Wiggy's sleeping bag and it is by far the best bag I have ever owned. I use it 16 days a month for my job, in which I sleep outside all winter long and am always warm and toasty. They have amazing mittens rated to -35 for only $100! With my experience with their sleeping bags I am in for these bad boys. Wiggy's is located in Grand Junction and is the only sleeping bag company that makes all their stuff right here in the USA. Check out www.wiggys.com.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin

Re: Mittens by Wiggy's

Postby BaronVonBergschrund » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:46 pm

oldschool wrote:I know mittens are warmer and some of the guys on the trip had bomb looking mittens by Black Diamond and North Face. I got on the web today and checked them out. Pricey bastards!

Oh yes, horrible. Black Diamond Mercury Mitts are so expensive. What is your relationship with Wiggy's?

$48.95 - http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/products/2934/Black-Diamond-Mercury-Mitt-Mens.html
$49.93 - http://www.rei.com/product/799066
$68.80 - http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/BLD0441/Black-Diamond-Mercury-Mitten-Mens.html

(e-OMC has the 2008 model, which does not have a clip-in loop at the top, REI has limited sizes and backcountry.com has all sizes but a higher price)
Baron Von Bergschrund
Remember, remember, the third of December.
Sharing wisdom on Rock Climbing, Climbing Shoes, Rappelling, Layering, Eddie Bauer, Pants, Helmets, Ropes, Ice Axes, Tri-Cams, Carabiners

Postby oldschool » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:13 pm

No business relationship..just a satisfied user of their gear. I work for a company that also uses their gear. For the price Wiggy's can't be beat IMO.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin

Postby globreal » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:36 pm

Hey Mike,

This is the exact mitt I had yesterday when we did Massive. The Black Diamond Mercury Mitt. And I got them where Baron posted...

http://www.rei.com/product/799066

Black Diamond Mercury Mittens - Men's - '09 Closeout
Item # 799066
$49.93 instead of $82.95
REDUCED PRICE You Save 39%

I only wore them on the summit ridge because they were just too hot. I kept having to take them off to cool my hands down. That's the kind off winter hand protection I want for winter climbing.

Totally worth the $50! (IMO)
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby BAUMGARA » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:51 pm

Well thank you BaronVonBergschrund, I've been eye balling the Mercurys and was going to pull the trigger on the Backcountry.com deal (this year's model) but just pulled the trigger on the REI-Outlet deal (last year's model). $41.XX. BAM!!!

Postby unclegar » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:27 pm

globreal wrote:Hey Mike,
This is the exact mitt I had yesterday when we did Massive. The Black Diamond Mercury Mitt. And I got them where Baron posted...
http://www.rei.com/product/799066
Black Diamond Mercury Mittens - Men's - '09 Closeout
Item # 799066
$49.93 instead of $82.95
REDUCED PRICE You Save 39%

I only wore them on the summit ridge because they were just too hot. I kept having to take them off to cool my hands down. That's the kind off winter hand protection I want for winter climbing.
Totally worth the $50! (IMO)

Glad I saw this. I've been looking at gloves and mittens for a while now. I just used the link and got them for $39.93 + tx. Free delivery with pickup at store. I got an additional $10 off today using OUTLET24 as a code.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz