Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

FOUND: KU hat Mt. Massive TH

Post lost and found items here.

Re: FOUND: KU hat Mt. Massive TH

Postby tlongpine » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:09 am

It's incredible that so many states, and even Canadian provinces, use the exact same font on their license plates.

You didn't actually think those were real did you, Blix? And you don't actually expect us to, do you?
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby dnye » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:25 am

Those license plates are clearly 'shopped.

Postby TallGrass » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:37 pm

Ah Blix, :lol: I've traveled Canada, have friends in Canada, and can tell you how much Canadians care about U.S. college sports compared to say hockey, curling, or the CFL. Oh, wait, Andrew Wiggins, the #1 recruit to college basketball is playing where? So Canadians are mostly likely to root for which team? :mrgreen: Further, you left off two "states" (territories in this case)... AGAIN (Can't you count? They're in a grid for Pete's sake!), and did the Quebec one in English, not French. Hate to see how you'll fair with Mexican plates. :roll:

If you wanted non-photoshopped data on fandom, look here:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/sports-on-facebook/march-madness-fandom-on-facebook/10151473245234487
http://deadspin.com/facebook-data-give-us-the-best-fandom-map-of-the-ncaa-t-456782281

This gives you an idea of KU's popularity among the recent #1 seeds...

And the Big 12's popularity in the NCAA Tourney.

Tough love for K-State fans, but I'll pull for them and the (Wichita) Shockers any time except against KU (unlike always rooting for MU's opponent).

I am looking forward this year's (KU and Chiefs) football season as both have undergone a lot of changes.

So, Blix, how about we leave it on the playing field? Next time KU and MU meet, we can revisit it and go by the scoreboard.

And if ANY hiker lost their sports cap that was autographed by a player,
I hope they DO get it back safe-n-sound...
even if their mascot is named Truman.
:)
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Hungry Jack » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:21 am

So much brainpower on display here...devoted to the geographics of the KU diaspora.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby Gareth » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:57 pm

KU has a lot of bandwagoners who really know/care nothing for the school...similar to Texas.

Reminds me of a girl I used to work with. Her favorite basketball team was Duke, and favorite football team was Texas. :roll:
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Postby tlongpine » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:27 pm

Gareth wrote:KU has a lot of bandwagoners who really know/care nothing for the school...similar to Texas.

Reminds me of a girl I used to work with. Her favorite basketball team was Duke, and favorite football team was Texas. :roll:

Winning has that effect.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby Blix » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:21 pm

It's all in fun, right? Don't worry, this is fake--no Jayhawk was harmed for the picture.
All in fun.jpg
All in fun.jpg (81.57 KiB) Viewed 242 times

TallGrass wrote:Hate to see how you'll fair with Mexican plates.

fare.

Thanks for helping keep the rivalry alive.
Now, the mountains are calling. Have a good weekend, everyone (Jayhawks included). :)
The mountains are calling...

~~~

♫ ♪ I don't want to rest in peace
I want to dance in joy... ♪ ♫

Postby jgradygroove » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:30 am

Hoot, hoot.

Postby RockRash » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:14 pm

wasn't mine, funny how the KU/MU rivalry shows it's head everywhere though. i mean, former rivalry...

rock chalk.
If the situation isn't good, go down. The mountain's always going to be there. You can always go back. - EV

Postby TallGrass » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:42 am

RockRash wrote: KU/MU rivalry
I've heard it clarified before when someone said MU was KU's rival that, "No. K-State is our rival; Missouri is our enemy." Sounds harsh unless you know some of the 1800s backstory. And if you think the passion to beat the other is now moot, see what happens when they play each other again (MU fans can't even help injecting themselves into a non-MU thread). Wait, MU would have win more than one game in the tourney... :-k
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby RockRash » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:16 am

I have a whole drawer of shirts disparaging students in Columbia. The obvious such as the Muck Fizzou's, etc... but my favorite one says "Mizzou fans wear jean shorts."

And I believe one has to provide a certain level of resistance before they can be called a rival. Just another school in Kansas brother...
If the situation isn't good, go down. The mountain's always going to be there. You can always go back. - EV

Postby Robzilla » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:43 am

TallGrass wrote:
RockRash wrote: KU/MU rivalry
I've heard it clarified before when someone said MU was KU's rival that, "No. K-State is our rival; Missouri is our enemy." Sounds harsh unless you know some of the 1800s backstory. And if you think the passion to beat the other is now moot, see what happens when they play each other again (MU fans can't even help injecting themselves into a non-MU thread). Wait, MU would have win more than one game in the tourney... :-k

I didn't go to Mizzou, but I went to the engineering school in the University of Missouri system, so I'm a fan. I went to my folks house a few years ago for the yearly Border War game between KU and Mizzou at Arrowhead. We're throwing around the usual disses of KU and then just out of nowhere my sweet, elderly mother says...

"You know your great uncle shot a Jayhawker."

And then dead silence. Mom has no talent at comedy, but she sure can deliver the straight line. Turns out one of the great uncles back there had gotten tired of Jayhawkers coming around hassling people about some election coming up, so he waited at the front door with shotgun in hand and put some buckshot into someone. Wowzers!

PreviousNext