Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

LOST on Wilson Peak 6/29

Post lost and found items here.

LOST on Wilson Peak 6/29

Postby kedge » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:57 pm

I was the unlucky climber to break his ankle on Wilson Peak on 6/29. This is my first time back online.

Just past the House on Rock of Ages, 100 yards up the trail and 20 feet above the trail to your right I left my overnight bag. I put some rocks on it to hold it down. If someone can please look for it or if you have seen a post on it please let me know.

Also 100 yards above the Gladstone - Wilson Peak saddle, the place where several big rocks have just broken loose the my Tissot adventure guide watch was ripped from my wrist. I know this on is almost a no chance in hell find but it was a wedding gift from my wife.

Thank you for any help.
"If you don't stand on the edge you will never know what lies beyond"

Re: LOST on Wilson Peak 6/29

Postby Fisching » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:41 pm

kedge wrote:I was the unlucky climber to break his ankle on Wilson Peak on 6/29. This is my first time back online.

Just past the House on Rock of Ages, 100 yards up the trail and 20 feet above the trail to your right I left my overnight bag. I put some rocks on it to hold it down. If someone can please look for it or if you have seen a post on it please let me know.

Also 100 yards above the Gladstone - Wilson Peak saddle, the place where several big rocks have just broken loose the my Tissot adventure guide watch was ripped from my wrist. I know this on is almost a no chance in hell find but it was a wedding gift from my wife.

Thank you for any help.

Unfortunately there's very little I can to recover the gear right now other than say "BUMP," but I'm glad to hear your recovering, both physically and mentally. And here's to hoping those bastard Navajo Basin marmots didn't take interest in your overnight bag.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby jonneek » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:03 pm

The gear is secondary to your health.

Here's to wishing you Good Luck with your recovery!

Postby dennywitte » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:04 pm

We were up there yesterday (7/21) and did see a black bag west of the trail, surrounded by some rocks, above the house. Sorry we did not see your note until now. There are lots of folks up there. Hopefully another 14ers.com person can help out.

Postby kedge » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:30 pm

Well thanks for the help. hopefully someone got it and didn't post here. I guess not every climber is on here. It will be long into next year before I can even try doing another one. I will get them all. Hopefully next year.
"If you don't stand on the edge you will never know what lies beyond"

Postby awilbur77 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:54 pm

Keep some hope up my friend. You'll be back before you know it. I broke my ankle badly on 2/22/2013 and I understand how mentally draining it can be, particularly for a outdoor person. I remember thinking that I may not even be able to hike again in the first few weeks. I had shattered my fibula, and completely tore my deltoid ligament and both the anterior and posterior talo-fibular ligaments. That first few months of cast, followed by walking boot, followed by endless PT sessions was a lot of work.

But it can be done. I started hiking on moderate trails 99 days after my injury (only a few weeks after getting off crutches). I worked up to 14ers again and did my first one since the injury on Uncompahgre on 6/29. A month later my ankle felt good enough to take me to the summit of Longs Peak (via Keyhole) and back down in about 11 hours.

I just had my last follow-up appointment with my Ortho doc today and he was shocked to hear I had summited Longs Peak.

Keep up the hope! Shock the Doc!
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller
http://awilbur77.blogspot.com/