Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Found: Odd Cache on Bierstadt

Post lost and found items here.

Re: Found: Odd Cache on Bierstadt

Postby JTOlson26 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:43 pm

matt pierce wrote:1. You didnt know they had been there for a week
2. That s**t didnt belong to you - period. It's not the same as picking up a dropped Clif bar wrapper and bringing it down off the mountain...

But I'll answer your question:
Maybe the other glove was picked up by a Marmot or Pika and carried off - or hell it's Bierstadt - it probably blew away...
Maybe someone was ferrying gear up there because they got permission to build a memorial on the peak/trail...

It was someone else's GEAR - you should have left it alone - you dont know why it was there/when someone was coming back to get it etc...

Or you could have taken a pic and marked your GPS and THEN come and posted about it...

Based on the evidence put forth earlier it sounds like he was fairly certain it had been there a decent amount of time. Absolute certainty? Maybe not, but still fairly certain. The memorial thing, while possible, seems a bit far fetched.

Take it or leave it, literally, I don't think there is much harm done and ultimately it worked out. He made a strong effort to locate the owners and they were very grateful.

Postby ameristrat » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:55 pm

Also, the guy HAD left the stuff there because he needed to descend quickly so it WAS a good thing he brought it down to return it to the owner.

I don't see anywhere here where Jeff said he intended on keeping the stuff - not sure why we're now worried about anyone thinking it's okay to reclaim stashed snowshoes...

This thread is getting ridiculous. It was originally started to find the owner. He's been found.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby wildlobo71 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:00 pm

matt pierce wrote:
SurfNTurf wrote:I still haven't heard a realistic, valid scenario where someone would leave a snowboard, earbuds and a single glove at 13,500' on the standard Mt. Bierstadt trail for a week

1. You didnt know they had been there for a week
2. That s**t didnt belong to you - period. It's not the same as picking up a dropped Clif bar wrapper and bringing it down off the mountain...

Maybe the other glove was picked up by a Marmot or Pika and carried off - or hell it's Bierstadt - it probably blew away...
Maybe someone was ferrying gear up there because they got permission to build a memorial on the peak/trail...

It was someone else's GEAR - you should have left it alone - you dont know why it was there/when someone was coming back to get it etc...

Or you could have taken a pic and marked your GPS and THEN come and posted about it...

Jeezus - let it go, man. You may not personally approve of the actions taken but that doesn't make those actions wrong! Anyways, it's between Jeff and the property Owner - not those who have the benefit of third-party hindsight. But if you are so up for not moving it in the first place, I know where Jeff is keeping the clown board and ear buds - perhaps you should volunteer to take it back?
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby dmccool » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:37 pm

"matt pierce"

RangerGuy? Is that you?
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby Carl » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:46 pm

matt pierce wrote:I guess some of you are hypocrites.

How many of you leave/stash your snowshoes at treeline?

Not I. Only used snowshoes on one occasion. Turned around well below treeline having learned my lesson.

Postby speth » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:56 pm

Jeff should be ashamed of himself - idiot, don't you know to leave stuff where you found it?

...until after they've offered you beer to clean up their mess?
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rage-quit mountaineer wrote:I give up. Bill, just delete my account.

Postby Jtjohnso24 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:21 pm

It seems pretty reasonable to either take the cache or leave it if you think it's been up there for awhile. Usually, best judgment/common sense will prevail - like it did here.

We found two backpacks on Kit Carson last year. There were about five of us that decided to search them, call in what we had found, and then leave them in the same spot. I remember thinking that maybe we should grab the packs and haul them down to the lake. It was pretty clear the people had either been blown off the mountain or had to bail down a different route. Taking the packs back to the lake would have really helped them after a scary experience, and we could have marked the spot to aid a rescue if one was necessary. Like here, the people ended up having to get down quickly and lost their gear in the process. I believe they ended up paying somebody to hike all of the way up to haul it down. It can go either way - just try to find the rightful owner (a note at the trailhead, CL, and a post on this forum is probably what I would do). If you're the owner, beer seems to be the universal thank you.

Glad to hear everything worked out and everybody lived happily ever after.

Postby Doug Shaw » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:58 pm

matt pierce wrote:It's not the same as picking up a dropped Clif bar wrapper and bringing it down off the mountain...

Hey, that cached Clif bar wrapper was my minimalist solution to nutrition! I ate the single Clif bar over a 3-week period during an extended traverse, and licking the remaining clif-cruft stuck to the wrapper when I reached that cache was all that was standing between me and certain doom.

Postby ameristrat » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:00 pm

Jtjohnso24 wrote: If you're the owner, beer seems to be the universal thank you.

=D>
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby kushrocks » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:21 pm

matt pierce wrote:
1. You didnt know they had been there for a week

So with the decision Jeff made being proven completely accurate this entire worthless rant above is null and void and well just flat out stupid.

Ahh . . . . fells like summer is approaching doesnt it? . . . . . when all the jerks come out of no where and chase off all the polite and experienced people on here who are just trying to post helpful information. Thanks for starting this downward spiral Matt. :roll:

dmccool wrote:
"matt pierce"

RangerGuy? Is that you?

:lol: Bravo Dan . . .Bravo. The only thing that is missing is the threatening of violence.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby awilbur77 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:25 pm

Bill... just lock this thread already. There is no chance that any additional positive message comes from this thread. Clearly nobody is allowed to disagree with the actions taken by SurfNTurf on Bierstadt without the rest of the community bashing whomever it is.
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller
http://www.summitrounder.com

Postby Bean » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:28 pm

matt pierce wrote:How many of you leave/stash your snowshoes at treeline?

To take a note from Carl, I have never left my snowshoes at treeline, not even the one time I used them. I found it hilarious when several people lost their snowshoes all on Humboldt on multiple trips a couple years ago.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

PreviousNext