Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Found: Odd Cache on Bierstadt

Post lost and found items here.

Re: Found: Odd Cache on Bierstadt

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:38 am

matt pierce wrote:I agree with some of the posters here. Should have left the cache alone...

Just because you got lucky and found the owner doesnt mean this couldnt have turned out differently.

Kinda reminds me of people taking quickdraws off of project routes. They are left behind for a reason...

Wait, I thought those were just free quickdraws? I got my entire sport rack in one weekend thanks to the giveaways at Rumney...

I still haven't heard a realistic, valid scenario where someone would leave a snowboard, earbuds and a single glove at 13,500' on the standard Mt. Bierstadt trail for a week -- on purpose? When we were up there, working with actual observable information to process (rather than Internet speculation), it was hardly even a debate.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Steve Climber » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:44 am

SurfNTurf wrote:I still haven't heard a realistic, valid scenario where someone would leave a snowboard, earbuds and a single glove at 13,500' on the standard Mt. Bierstadt trail for a week -- on purpose?

An offering to the avalanche gods.
Valid? Totally.
Realistic? Maybe not, but you've doomed us all 8-[ :twisted: 8-[
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:50 am

SurfNTurf wrote:I still haven't heard a realistic, valid scenario where someone would leave a snowboard, earbuds and a single glove at 13,500' on the standard Mt. Bierstadt trail for a week -- on purpose?

Maybe Aron Ralston is working on a new project, with sherpas to haul his gear.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Steve Climber » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:56 am

Jim Davies wrote:Maybe Aron Ralston is working on a new project, with sherpas to haul his gear.

I flirted with an amputee reference, but backed away. Thank you sir, for stepping into it...you know, for the good of the thread =D>
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Postby wildlobo71 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:02 am

Men do weird things when allured by Surfer Girl.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby Dave B » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:21 am

matt pierce wrote:Kinda reminds me of people taking quickdraws off of project routes. They are left behind for a reason...

In this instance it would be more like finding an overcammed #1 stuck in a crack. By all laws of ethics that's considered booty!

Oh, and here's a delightful discussion on the forgetting/leaving of property in the mountains.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Dex » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:27 am

matt pierce wrote:I agree with some of the posters here. Should have left the cache alone...

Just because you got lucky and found the owner doesnt mean this couldnt have turned out differently.

Kinda reminds me of people taking quickdraws off of project routes. They are left behind for a reason...

http://www.dpmclimbing.com//climbing-videos/watch/climbing-gear-thief-cauight-video
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Dex » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:31 am

Dave B wrote:
matt pierce wrote:Kinda reminds me of people taking quickdraws off of project routes. They are left behind for a reason...

In this instance it would be more like finding an overcammed #1 stuck in a crack. By all laws of ethics that's considered booty!

Oh, and here's a delightful discussion on the forgetting/leaving of property in the mountains.

Wasn't there a thread here awhile ago about stashing equipment. It came to the conclusion that except for technical climbs if you can't carry your equipment up and down the mountain, you shouldn't go up.

I think several people stashed their equipment on the way up but could not find it on the way down - hilarity ensued.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Steve Climber » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:08 am

Dex wrote:http://www.dpmclimbing.com//climbing-videos/watch/climbing-gear-thief-cauight-video

"They are almost worn through"

"Those are my draws"

*soooo akward*

Postby speth » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:43 am

aboynamedmargrette wrote:
Dex wrote:http://www.dpmclimbing.com//climbing-videos/watch/climbing-gear-thief-cauight-video

"They are almost worn through"

"Those are my draws"

*soooo akward*

Are you taking those?

"Uh, not if you're here."
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rage-quit mountaineer wrote:I give up. Bill, just delete my account.

Postby matt pierce » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:26 pm

I guess some of you are hypocrites.

How many of you leave/stash your snowshoes at treeline?

I can see the next thread here being from a newb: "Hey look at these cool showshoes someone abandoned at treeline on Quandary! I heard it was OK to take them - yay me!"

Postby matt pierce » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:32 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:I still haven't heard a realistic, valid scenario where someone would leave a snowboard, earbuds and a single glove at 13,500' on the standard Mt. Bierstadt trail for a week

1. You didnt know they had been there for a week
2. That s**t didnt belong to you - period. It's not the same as picking up a dropped Clif bar wrapper and bringing it down off the mountain...

But I'll answer your question:
Maybe the other glove was picked up by a Marmot or Pika and carried off - or hell it's Bierstadt - it probably blew away...
Maybe someone was ferrying gear up there because they got permission to build a memorial on the peak/trail...

It was someone else's GEAR - you should have left it alone - you dont know why it was there/when someone was coming back to get it etc...

Or you could have taken a pic and marked your GPS and THEN come and posted about it...

PreviousNext