Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lost: Twin Rope on Long's Trail

Post lost and found items here.

Lost: Twin Rope on Long's Trail

Postby xam_zerep » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:51 am

Lost an almost new bright yellow 110 ft 7.7 Bluewater ice floss on the Long's trail between 3am and 9am Sunday 3/31 . Most likely in the trees but might be as far up as halfway between the Chasm Lake Trail junction and Granite Pass. Reward and karma points for its return. Or beer...lots of beer. Message me here or via max(dot)a(dot)perez(at)gmail(dot)com. Thanks. -Max

Re: Lost: Twin Rope on Long's Trail

Postby xam_zerep » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:51 am

Bump

Postby xam_zerep » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:52 pm

bump

Postby xam_zerep » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:49 am

went up last night and took a walk up to treeline...no rope so I figure someone grabbed it on their way up longs on sunday (and I don't blame you...it's a nice rope). weird cause the 2nd rope was found very near the trailhead on our way out sunday around 9am. i can offer beer and my undying gratitude for the rope's return. or enjoy it in good health if you don't feel like returning it.

Postby schrund » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:20 pm

Just curious as to how, is it 2 ropes? got lost? Just wondering how I can not have the same experience.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby pvnisher » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:19 pm

Luckily only a $100 lesson. Why twin 30s, by the way?

Postby climbingaggie03 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:24 am

So I'm going to speculate and try to answer both schrund and pvnishers questions, I'm betting that he had the ropes on the top/outside of his pack and they weren't strapped on snug enough and fell off.

For pvnisher, twin 30's are good for alpine because they're lighter than twin 60's, they can be used to minimize rope drag with fewer slings, alpine pitches are frequently 30 meters or less, and they also offer more options for glacier travel, rappelling and very rarely they can be used to help woo women. :)

Postby xam_zerep » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:14 am

The twin 30's are about 5 lbs for a 100 ft lead and rappel, while my standard single would be 9lbs for a 200 ft lead / 100 ft rappel. Technical part of the route (north face / cables) is 160 ft, which can be split into two pitches, so the longer rope was not worth it.

Rope was under the pack hood and cinched into the rope carrier loop but still worked free...didn't notice due to a combo of sleep deprivation, winds, and head phones, I guess. Next time they are going into the pack or at least cinched into the side compression loops as well.

It's a $65 lesson but replacement value is more. Embarrassment and sadness are priceless, though.

Postby TomPierce » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:22 pm

By no means suggesting anything was done incorrectly, but one thing I've learned the hard way when securing ropes on top of a pack is to thread the rope strap through the rope, to not just cinch it on top. With either a mountaineer's coil or butterfly, if you visualize the rope as a donut the rope strap IMO should go through the donut hole as well as around the coil. That way if the rope coil slips off the top the strap will still catch it. That assumes, of course, that you have a rope strap of sufficient length and that it is securely attached to the pack. If you have the pack capacity to stow the rope inside, of course that's the most secure method.

FWIW, I too use twin 30's for many alpine routes, a 9.1mm lead and a 7mm tag line; very light and it gives you a 60m rap line. But I use them as twins, not doubles, so I still sling them out as needed.

Just my .02.

-Tom

Postby pvnisher » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:22 pm

Ah, the Cables. I was curious as to the route.

This is a bit off the subject, but I don't see the appeal of dedicated 30m twins. My Edelrid Apus are 7,8mm (that's only .1mm thicker than your ice floss!) and rated as both a half and twin, which makes it more versatile. Since its half and twin, I can clip it to whichever pieces I like.

Aggie- your assertion that twins can reduce rope drag are off the mark. Half/doubles can do that, but twins, if anything, increase rope drag (albeit slightly).

And I know it's preference, but having 2x 30m twins doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather have a set of long halves (in my case, 2x50m for weight savings).
On a route like Cables you can bring along a single 50m half (or twin, if you must) and use that one rope as half rope (tie in to both ends of the same rope).
That way you have the same utility as having 2x30m, slightly less weight, but then you have the capability of doing longer routes with your other 60m or 50m.
2x50m half/twin is the way to go for alpine in my book.

Maybe take this loss as an opportunity to get yourself some 50 or 60m Apuses, and keep your remaining 30m as a dedicated glacier line!

Postby xam_zerep » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestions...but it wasn't like I bought a pair of twins as the ultimate alpine system. I had acquired a 30m twin a while back and then bought the newer bluewater to use with it, primarily for the rappels off of scrambly routes in the flatirons while soloing...I just happened to feel like using it on this route cause my 70m single was overkill. If I happened to have a 60m half rope setup, I would have used a doubled over single 60m half instead (maybe...the dedicated twins are still lighter when you are only roped up for 160 feet of a 4500 foot route). But yes, given available funds, a half rope system would be great!

Postby pvnisher » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:02 pm

No insult implied. My first rope was an 30x8,1 twin for glaciers. It still gets occassional use on alpine routes, or as a bail-out rope.
In retrospect I wish I had bought my current pair of 50x7,8 to begin with and not bothered with the 30, or even with the single rope.
So I was just saying if it's time to start over, maybe consider relegating your 30m twin to glacier/backup duties, and upgrade a bit. It's easier to justify ugrading when you need a replacement, rather than when you're just adding to the pile!

Next