Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lost: Trekking Pole Crestone Needle (BHP)

Post lost and found items here.

Lost: Trekking Pole Crestone Needle (BHP)

Postby CO_trekker » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:11 pm

Well not really lost, but stolen by a rotten marmot. After returning back down to broken hand pass from the needle, we came upon my stashed trekking poles and what appeared to be a group of marmots devouring them. Thinking they would just scurry off I snapped a couple pics and then approached to retrieve my poles. That's when one of the little bastards got hold of the strap and took off down the pass towards cottonwood lake. I chased him down 100 yards or so but he dissapeared, and being towards the end of a 12 hour day I really didn't want to have to ascend the pass again. So, if you see a BD trekking pole with a 14ers.com sticker and chewed up grip, that would be mine! Thanks!
marmot.JPG
marmot.JPG (119.03 KiB) Viewed 558 times

Re: Lost: Trekking Pole Crestone Needle (BHP)

Postby schrund » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:47 pm

I am sorry but I got a really good laugh out of that! :lol: If it is any (very small) consolation I have a single Komperdell pole that you are welcome to if it would help you until you can get replacements. :D
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby tmathews » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:52 pm

CO_trekker wrote:Well not really lost, but stolen by a rotten marmot. After returning back down to broken hand pass from the needle, we came upon my stashed trekking poles and what appeared to be a group of marmots devouring them. Thinking they would just scurry off I snapped a couple pics and then approached to retrieve my poles. That's when one of the little bastards got hold of the strap and took off down the pass towards cottonwood lake. I chased him down 100 yards or so but he dissapeared, and being towards the end of a 12 hour day I really didn't want to have to ascend the pass again. So, if you see a BD trekking pole with a 14ers.com sticker and chewed up grip, that would be mine! Thanks!
marmot.JPG

We saw them while they were intact. No one should ever leave anything near BHP. Those marmots are vicious!

Postby CO_trekker » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:19 pm

schrund wrote:I am sorry but I got a really good laugh out of that! :lol: If it is any (very small) consolation I have a single Komperdell pole that you are welcome to if it would help you until you can get replacements. :D

Yeah, I actually found the whole situation rather amusing as well! I appreciate the offer, but do have an older pole that will work for now..

tmathews wrote:Those marmots are vicious!

No kidding man. I know they can eat some random stuff, but this was crazy.

Postby JLOHARA » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Found: 1 really gnarly :twisted: trekking pole on BHP yesterday. Someone else probably found it and moved it to the top of BHP Cottonwood lake side. Not in really good shape but the metal and the 14er sticker are fine.

Jodi
Attachments
P7010012.JPG
P7010012.JPG (159.35 KiB) Viewed 451 times

Postby CO_trekker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:39 pm

Holy crap, they really went to town on that thing! :lol: Thanks for bringing it back! Probably not of much use to me anymore unfortunately...maybe you could find a use for it? Guess I won't be stashing my poles on BHP again! ](*,)

Postby jsdratm » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:06 pm

I had this exact thing happen with my trekking poles today (probably the same model)! I left my poles on the lower part of Mount Yale's ridge so my hands would be free and when I came back a fat ol' marmot was chewing on the cork grips and the webbing. Now there are big chunks missing out of the grips and the webbing is entirely gone on one of the straps. :(

I can't imagine what kind of nourishment they derive from eating this stuff, but I was pretty mad.

Postby rijaca » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:19 pm

jsdratm wrote:I can't imagine what kind of nourishment they derive from eating this stuff, but I was pretty mad.

Salt.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"