Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lost: I Phone on SE Route on Columbia (FOUND)

Post lost and found items here.

Lost: I Phone on SE Route on Columbia (FOUND)

Postby marciamallow » Sun May 27, 2012 10:42 pm

FOUND!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to all who offered to help...Got notification today!!!

If anyone is planning to climb the SE ridge route to Columbia summit from Harvard Lakes Trail, can you be on the lookout for my lost Iphone.
I think I lost it around 13,000ft when changing out gear on my descent. It has a blue cover... My summit picks are on there, would love to get it back.
If found:
Please email me at marciamallow@hotmail.com
Thanks, Marcia
Last edited by marciamallow on Tue May 29, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Lost: I Phone on SE Route on Columbia

Postby Rarefied » Mon May 28, 2012 12:29 pm

A few years ago I retrieved a left-behind ring part way up Columbia and, in concept, I'd be happy to go after your phone, too. But I'm an older guy who simply doesn't have 3500' in him this time of the year. But I know those types are out there (Hint! Hint!).

But here is a tip that might help your cause. The ring hunt was a success because the hiker had a full GPS track and the time-stamps showed where she had taken breaks. That data along with a good verbal description of the location allowed me to, more or less, walk right up to the ring.

So for the benefit of those who might be headed that way, you might post again if you have any such info that might help a would-be searcher. Also, unlike the ring, being a phone has a distinct advantage. You could give the number to a hiker headed up that route and that person could call it when they think they are in the area -- and hope the winds are light at the time! \:D/

In any event, good luck!

R

Postby MountainHiker » Mon May 28, 2012 1:29 pm

I have the gps track of our route.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby marciamallow » Mon May 28, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks Rarefield. My friend has the GPS co-ordinates of our route. So, if anyone is willing to help, contact MountainHiker for the co-ordinates or description of the area where it was lost.
Thanks, Marcia

Postby sunny1 » Mon May 28, 2012 6:37 pm

Rarefied wrote:A few years ago I retrieved a left-behind ring part way up Columbia and, in concept, I'd be happy to go after your phone, too. But I'm an older guy who simply doesn't have 3500' in him this time of the year. But I know those types are out there (Hint! Hint!).

But here is a tip that might help your cause. The ring hunt was a success because the hiker had a full GPS track and the time-stamps showed where she had taken breaks. That data along with a good verbal description of the location allowed me to, more or less, walk right up to the ring.

That was my ring - unbelievable you found it, really "a needle in a haystack"
Very generous of you to go out and look for it - and then when you found it, I was incredulous! :YY
And relieved, as it has sentimental value.
Means twice as much to me now.
Thank you again! :bow:

If you guys have GPS coordinates, timestamps and can describe the location, the odds are in your favor.
Good luck! Hope someone goes up there soon.
Another great reason to have a GPS (hopefully I won't need this function again anytime soon! :oops: )
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby marciamallow » Mon May 28, 2012 6:54 pm

Sunny1,
Thats an awesome story about the ring!!

Postby MountainHiker » Mon May 28, 2012 7:49 pm

Marcia,

Was it just after we did the side hilling on the return instead of going over the bump at around 13200'? The GPS track shows where our up route and down route separate and come back together.

Postby Rarefied » Mon May 28, 2012 8:14 pm

sunny1 --
That's so kind of you -- it was fun to play a role in that story. 'Glad to hear the ring is doing fine!

marciamallow wrote:My friend has the GPS co-ordinates of our route ... [and] ... description of the area where it was lost.

There you go! The odds are moving your way. Even if someone has done Columbia before, maybe they can still take it up as a conditioning hike with a challenge attached! (Another hint!) And to any readers, the trailhead is 2WD accessible.

Finally, if you want the GPS track parsed by another set of eyes, I can offer that to you if you're interested.

R

Postby MountainHiker » Mon May 28, 2012 8:43 pm

Rarefied wrote:Finally, if you want the GPS track parsed by another set of eyes, I can offer that to you if you're interested.

R

I can send it to you if you PM me your email address.

Postby marciamallow » Mon May 28, 2012 10:52 pm

To: MountainHiker

Yes-- it was right after we side hilled the bump.

Postby LuLuLuv » Tue May 29, 2012 9:55 am

Are you going to go back up this week?

Postby mountaintan » Tue May 29, 2012 10:15 am

The SE ridge stole my phone a few weeks ago in the same general area. I would be willing to go back up this weekend Sunday with a partner if anyone is interested. I am slow/moderate steady hiker...so not looking for a speedster. I got turned back on my last attempt....so I wouldn’t be opposed to trying for the Columbia summit if the weather permits.

Next