Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lost items on Mt. Lindsey

Post lost and found items here.

Lost items on Mt. Lindsey

Postby Scuba Steve » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:56 pm

I had a rough (expensive)day on Mount Lindsey on 4/21 and somehow managed to lose 5 things. :oops: Chances are if you find anything left on the mountain, it's probably mine.

1. Blue REI fleece FOUND
2. Right handed glove Goretex - left it somewhere near the creek crossings
3. Gray fleece beanie - FOUND
4. headlamp - FOUND
5. Black Diamond 65 cm. iceaxe - it's in the third gully after the standard route ascent.

If you happen to find anything of this stuff, I would gladly pay for your shipping costs and/or supply you with some delicious beer.

THANKS!

edited since some items have been found
Last edited by Scuba Steve on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Lost items on Mt. Lindsey

Postby LetsGoHigher » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:38 pm

Did you at least have a good day otherwise?
Is that the summit?

Postby RJansen77 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:18 pm

I have your blue REI fleece. Feel free to shoot me a PM and we can try to work something out this week. We're in Walsenburg now so I won't be back to Denver for a little bit.

Postby LuLuLuv » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:36 pm

Man Steve that is a rough day. And yeah, how was the rest of the hike? (met your finance the other day, she's a cutie!)

Postby AlabamaTLC » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:37 pm

You got to watch out for Lindsey...she "ate" my good North Face jacket last September...or at least that is what I claim after having it mysterously disappear off of my backpack!! Hope you get your stuff found and returned.

Postby larkinrx2 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:58 pm

Sorry about the lost items, i will look when i get up there for what still needs to be returned.

but as many are dying to know.............any beta on TH and hike? thanks
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby RJansen77 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:59 pm

I summited Lindsey today with two others, posted some brief beta in the Sangres thread and should have a TR up tomorrow night. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

Postby gonzalj » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:51 pm

RJansen77 wrote:I summited Lindsey today with two others, posted some brief beta in the Sangres thread and should have a TR up tomorrow night. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

Are snowshoes needed or spikes & crampons good enough?

Postby RJansen77 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:16 pm

gonzalj wrote:
RJansen77 wrote:I summited Lindsey today with two others, posted some brief beta in the Sangres thread and should have a TR up tomorrow night. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

Are snowshoes needed or spikes & crampons good enough?

Right now snowshoes are definitely needed. The trail starts out dry but as soon as it enters the trees you'll start crossing deep snow drifts that eventually become consistent snow. We postholed waist deep this morning (after an overnight freeze), and had several postholes that were chest deep in the afternoon. If I hadn't had snowshoes I might still be up there....(maybe not that extreme, but you'll want them).

Crampons and an axe definitely necessary for the gully on the standard route as well as the North Couloir. Didn't take the class 4 ridge but it looked to have a bit of snow on it. I'll have a trip report up tomorrow night.
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby Scuba Steve » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:37 am

What a great community we have here. Two items have already been found (blue fleece and grey beanie).

Any day in the mountains is a great day. I'll reiterate RJansen77 and say that snowshoes are a must. Crampons too. I had microspikes on and they felt a little inadequate at times. I have a good photo of the North Couloir if anyone is interested.

Thanks again everyone!

Postby larkinrx2 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:38 am

Im interested in the PICs
thanks
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:06 pm

The North Couloir was as bulletproof as snow can get up top, and this was at 12 p.m. on a day with a forecast high of 50 degrees. We tried to descend it and turned around after a hundred feet or so. I'm comfortable on steep snow and in my ability to self-arrest, but I was pretty sketched out. I was kicking with all my night and could barely get a step. Any slip would have resulted in a fast slide to some awaiting rocks, and I doubt you could have self-arrested on that stuff. I think I'd have been more comfortable going up, but descending wasn't an attractive option.

That said, the couloir is filled in to within feet of the top and based on observed rockfall the lower section appeared to have kinder snow.

I'd say the "safest" route on Lindsey right now would be the ridge. The option to climb the Class 4 wall around to the left wasn't holding much snow. The more direct lines were.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Next