Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

LOST: Camera on Mt. Hope

Post lost and found items here.

LOST: Camera on Mt. Hope

Postby SurfNTurf » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:10 pm

My camera fell out of my pack's hip belt pocket while glissading today. The darn pocket was even zippered shut, but must have come open to allow the camera to pop out.

It's somewhere between the summit and 11,500' on the standard trail. I was descending the southeast face (big snowfield between the east and southeast ridges with plenty of ski and glissade tracks). If you're on the standard route looking up at Hope Pass, it's the obvious snowfield up and to the left, left of Hope's false summit.

The camera is a simple red point-and-shoot. Hopeful is in great condition, so I'm hoping (pun intended) people will be in the vicinity this week. If you find it, please shoot me a PM and we'll work out a reward.

I've attached a photo that shows the area. I started glissading the obvious snowfield left of the prominent point, and stopped at about the point we regained the summer trail. You can even see three of us coming down.
Attachments
IMG_6232.JPG
IMG_6232.JPG (78.96 KiB) Viewed 695 times
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Re: LOST: Camera on Mt. Hope

Postby Brian Thomas » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:55 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:If you find it, please shoot me a PM and we'll work out a reward.

Thread bump. If you find it and return it to Mr. SurfNTurf, I'll buy you a burrito. Cuz I wanna read his trip report yo =D>
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby dmccool » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:02 pm

Did you check the pocket of your down vest a la Little Bear? I heard somewhere that if you put out a blanket or old t-shirt with your own embedded musk , it might just find it's own way home. Just a thought.
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:29 pm

This is all fun and games, but there are ample Hopeful Couloir butt shots of RJansen77 on that little red camera. I wouldn't want to deprive the world of that.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby RJansen77 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:46 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:This is all fun and games, but there are ample Hopeful Couloir butt shots of RJansen77 on that little red camera. I wouldn't want to deprive the world of that.

Don't get too excited, my butt is nothing special.

Seriously though if you want to do a Hopeful TR feel free to use my photos, though not much has changed since those by Benners and AndYouSeeMe.
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:11 pm

There are enough Hopeful TRs for one week. But I promise a TR on the Wheeler Peak-Mt. Rainier traverse (Winter 2013) if the camera is returned.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

Postby Rcizzle » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:14 pm

So you ended up finding out that you didn't lose it on LBP and then you lost it on Mt. Hope? Doesn't sound like that camera wants to cooperate with you.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:11 am

Rcizzle wrote:So you ended up finding out that you didn't lose it on LBP and then you lost it on Mt. Hope? Doesn't sound like that camera wants to cooperate with you.

Yes, there are certainly some similarities between this little red camera and (nerd-alert!) The One Ring.

Either that or I'm just an extremely irresponsible glissader.

It looks like globreal is trying to lead a group up there on Thursday. So I guess you could say I'm...hopeful? Sorry, couldn't resist. Depending on the weather and Thursday's happenings I may head back up there this weekend myself to look for it and go for Quail.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

Postby tmathews » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:18 am

SurfNTurf wrote:Yes, there are certainly some similarities between this little red camera and (nerd-alert!) The One Ring.

One camera to rule them all!

Postby TheOtherIndian » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:21 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:
Yes, there are certainly some similarities between this little red camera and (nerd-alert!) The One Ring.

I can visualize SurfNTurf crawling along ledges and mumbling 'my precious' ....
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Postby SurfNTurf » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:29 pm

Bump in case anyone was on Hopeful this weekend.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:17 pm

One last bump, though I suspect my camera either has a karma-less new owner or is marmot poop by this point.

I did give up Hope (won't ever get old) and ordered a new point-and-shoot (pretty good deals on officedepot.com right now), which means my original camera will probably be found and returned tomorrow.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

Next