Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lost: One inflated Ego, Mt. Princeton

Post lost and found items here.

Lost: One inflated Ego, Mt. Princeton

Postby Bodhi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:41 pm

Somewhere along the Standard Route of Mt. Princeton something pilfered what little ego I had left and replaced it with a much larger portion of humility. I swear I had it with me when I left Fort Collins on Friday morning. When we checked into the hotel at Buena Vista....yep, still there. All I know is when I got back to the car 12 hours later....it was gone.

If you find it, please leave it where you found it...turns out that Mt. Princeton's the last peak I'll be needing it on.
Peace is every step. ~Thich Nhat Hanh

Re: Lost: One inflated Ego, Mt. Princeton

Postby Phill the Thrill » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:00 pm

There MUST be more to this story?
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney

Postby Bodhi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:42 pm

Well, I should write up a little trip report but the moral of the story is that I underestimated how long 13 miles is in the winter with a heavy pack, crampons, etc....particularly the time needed. A couple weeks ago I knocked out Bierstadt....12 miles from the winter TH...piece of cake. So what's 1 more mile, right? Easy! Princeton's not quite Bierstadt. (Ok, I'll post a little TR tomorrow to explain myself).
Peace is every step. ~Thich Nhat Hanh

Postby bigmac » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:30 pm

Hey man.... better your ego than frostbite!!!
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Sir Edmund Hillary

I Immediately regret this decision.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:53 pm

Bodhi wrote:Well, I should write up a little trip report but the moral of the story is that I underestimated how long 13 miles is in the winter with a heavy pack, crampons, etc....particularly the time needed. A couple weeks ago I knocked out Bierstadt....12 miles from the winter TH...piece of cake. So what's 1 more mile, right? Easy! Princeton's not quite Bierstadt. (Ok, I'll post a little TR tomorrow to explain myself).

13 miles with a pack in winter is difficult in Kansas. At 10,000 ft getting out of the car is respectable.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby CO Native » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:10 pm

Lost mine on Revenue Mountain several years back. My intended goal was Grays and Torreys. It grows back after a while, but don't worry you'll manage to lose it again.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby upndown » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:47 am

What's an ego?
Dreams don't care if you are happy. They only care that they have been lived.

Postby Phill the Thrill » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:31 pm

upndown wrote:What's an ego?

Well, here is is one example of a healthy ego:
Attachments
Survival.jpg
Survival.jpg (151.45 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney

Postby Mel McKinney » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:44 pm

Ugh. I can't stand egotistical fish! :roll:
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby larkinrx2 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:56 pm

fish slap that ego out
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (2.95 KiB) Viewed 989 times
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby CO Native » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:01 pm

Fish slappers...
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Papillon » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:57 pm

Ever notice how the planning of calendar winter climbs is so easy and effortless when it is early September and you're sitting on the deck of let's say The Cannibal Grill in a billowy shirt and chacos with a pint in hand? You're fresh off a San Juan blitz and just took your first shower in five days. The bravado is flowing and for a fleeting moment, anything is possible.

But then you fast forward 3-4 months. The trailhead parking lot is empty. You haven't even gotten the pack out of the car and you're already feeling the cold. And then you realize just how much you were talking out of your a--.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Next