Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Best boots for summer scrambling

Post lost and found items here.
Location: Currently AL, previously OH, CO, VA, NV, HI, and a few remote locations overseas.

Best boots for summer scrambling

Postby madman6600 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:21 pm

I'd like some opinions on the best boots for climbing class 2 and 3 peaks, not any technical climbing, and mostly in summer. I've been looking on the internet and obviously there are lots of options out there. I don't want to spend mucho $$$ but don't want cheap low quality boots either. Anyone got any advice? Thanks.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - A.Einstein

Re: Best boots for summer scrambling

Postby Athos791 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:41 pm

Might want to try searching in the forums, as there are a lot of topics about this issue out there.

Anyway, my opinion is that Asolo Fugitive GTX are very nice boots, and have held up to anything I have thrown at them in the summer. They are fairly light, have nice tread, and good traction. One issue that I have heard from others but not experienced myself is that the sole's wear out fast. Mine have one full summer of heavy use in them so far, and they are holding up great. Hope this helps!
-Luke
"We go to the mountains to satisfy our own ambitions, not because others evaluate what we are doing." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby StevieTwoShoes » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:05 pm

As with all boots, fit is most important, but I can give a couple of recommendations. When I know I'm going to be doing some scrambling, I want boots that have nice, grippy soles. The best boots I've had in terms of grip are Vasque Catalysts, with Stealth rubber soles. I currently wear Montrail CTCs with gryptonite soles. They are not as grippy, but are narrower and allow for more options when looking for a decent foothold if the scrambling gets a bit more vertical.
"I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education." -Wilson Mizner

Location: Currently AL, previously OH, CO, VA, NV, HI, and a few remote locations overseas.

Postby madman6600 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:18 pm

Thanks guys, good stuff.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - A.Einstein

Postby roozers42 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:36 pm

When I'm scrambling, I prefer to be in trail runners because of their flexibility. I love my 5.10 insights (women's) - they are more of an approach shoe that you can definitely climb low class 5 in - fantastic fit and grippy sole. Just a thought.
Marmot Picture taken by David Worthington, 7/3/06

Postby mtngoat » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:01 pm

Athos791 wrote:Might want to try searching in the forums, as there are a lot of topics about this issue out there.

Anyway, my opinion is that Asolo Fugitive GTX are very nice boots, and have held up to anything I have thrown at them in the summer. They are fairly light, have nice tread, and good traction. One issue that I have heard from others but not experienced myself is that the sole's wear out fast. Mine have one full summer of heavy use in them so far, and they are holding up great. Hope this helps!
-Luke

x2 - Good boots, nice support, fairly sticky rubber for moderate scrambling. The soles do wear out after about 3 years but you can get new soles and they are as good as new. If I am not carrying a pack or not on horribly unstable terrain (I have weak ankles) I tend to go with trail runners as well. They are lighter and generally more comfortable for shorter treks with no extra weight.
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.

Postby Bobo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:12 pm

mtngoat wrote:x2 - Good boots, nice support, fairly sticky rubber for moderate scrambling. The soles do wear out after about 3 years but you can get new soles and they are as good as new. If I am not carrying a pack or not on horribly unstable terrain (I have weak ankles) I tend to go with trail runners as well. They are lighter and generally more comfortable for shorter treks with no extra weight.

I have a pair that I love, but as you said, soles are worn out...where do you get them re-soled?
"At this point the runner might philosophize a and consider just where he or she is in the Imogene Pass Run. You've climbed 1945 ft of elevation in 5.45 mi, at an average of 356 ft./mi., 6.8% gradient. To reach Imogene Pass you must climb 3365 ft in the next 4.60 mi, at an average of 731 ft./mi., or 13.85% gradient. Your effort so far has simply been a warmup. The steep gradients of the named hills below are now less than the average gradient ahead." - IPR course description

Postby andinismo_de_co » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:18 pm

+1 for fugative gtx.. sticks to rock like glue.. and wears out just as fast too.. but i still love 'em :D

Postby Aubrey » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:23 pm

Low-top Merrells with Vibram have done me really well over the years. They typically run $80 to $110, depending on the model and where you get them. I think I'm on my fifth pair. Very happy with them.

Postby sunny1 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:42 pm

+1 for Merrell's.
My first pair held up 16 years before the traction was gone!
Currently have Merrell Moab mid Goretex XCR = great traction, lightweight and comfortable. $95/pr.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.