Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

FOUND - tent on Holy Cross Halo Ridge

Post lost and found items here.

FOUND - tent on Holy Cross Halo Ridge

Postby jheadysmith » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:59 am

Yesterday (9/6) I found a tent just off the summit of Pt 13831 on the Halo Ridge.

Email me at jheadysmith@hotmail.com with a description and I'll get it back to you. You also have to tell me how you lost your tent on the Halo Ridge because I'm curious :)

Re: FOUND - tent on Holy Cross Halo Ridge

Postby Nice Axe » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:40 am

There's only one tent I know of capable of a solo summit. Out of curiosity, did the tent have legs and come at the mention of TGC? #-o
"Those who say it cannot be done,
should not interrupt the person doing it."

Postby thebeave7 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:42 pm

Nice Axe wrote:There's only one tent I know of capable of a solo summit. Out of curiosity, did the tent have legs and come at the mention of TGC? #-o

I hear those are the most expensive bestestest tents ever...

Eric

PS Sorry, couldn't resist. To the author, did it occur to you that someone had stashed it rather than it being lost?
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby 14er_Crazy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:16 pm

Under what circumstances would someone "lose" a tent? I guess I should ask whether the tent was rolled up or not (meaning it fell off the backpack). Anyway, other than the owner of the tent falling off the mountain or having to bail off the mountain in a moment's notice due to weather coming in, how could someone lose a tent?
Nausea at altitude, bad knees coming down, high winds, snow, gropple, the occasional thunderstorm and lightning... MAN, I love 14ers!

Postby jheadysmith » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:22 pm

PS Sorry, couldn't resist. To the author, did it occur to you that someone had stashed it rather than it being lost?[/quote]

Yes, we did consider whether it was stashed, but we decided that was an extemely unlikely possibility given the terrain, the route, the lack of camping locations anywhere near there, and the absence of any other gear.

Postby jtdudley » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:05 pm

Although it doesn't sound like it was on the Halo ridge route, any chance it could be the guy who was rescued? See another "Holy Cross Story thread"

Postby 14er_Crazy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:45 pm

I really can't fault the author for picking up the tent, even if it was stashed (other than an obvious note saying, "Stashed for summit push, will pick this up at 3PM"). I hike Barr Trail near Colorado Springs quite a bit, and for years, I'd see the same hat or sweater sitting by the side of the trail for days or weeks at a time. I'd eventually pick it up (newbies would either not bother or think it was stashed) to keep the trail clean and so that animals don't run off with it. Now, whenever I see anything (trash or otherwise), unless I don't have the room to carry it, I'll pick it up.

So, my advice (from a non-expert with only 22 14ers under my belt) is to either put a note on it saying you'll pick it up at such and such a time, or hide it so no one can find it.

Am I way off here?
Nausea at altitude, bad knees coming down, high winds, snow, gropple, the occasional thunderstorm and lightning... MAN, I love 14ers!

Postby thebeave7 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:16 pm

14er_Crazy wrote:So, my advice (from a non-expert with only 22 14ers under my belt) is to either put a note on it saying you'll pick it up at such and such a time, or hide it so no one can find it.
Am I way off here?

Nope I completely agree with that. I have picked up stuff stashed on summits, only after asking everyone around if it's there's. If I leave gear behind it's either in a set up campsite or conveniently hung in a tree, as to say, "I'll be right back". It just seems like lots of people pick up things on the trail and take them home without really knowing the story. Hopefully jheady can find the owner, as it sounds like it just fell off a pack.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby jheadysmith » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:34 am

14er_Crazy wrote:I really can't fault the author for picking up the tent, even if it was stashed (other than an obvious note saying, "Stashed for summit push, will pick this up at 3PM"). I hike Barr Trail near Colorado Springs quite a bit, and for years, I'd see the same hat or sweater sitting by the side of the trail for days or weeks at a time. I'd eventually pick it up (newbies would either not bother or think it was stashed) to keep the trail clean and so that animals don't run off with it. Now, whenever I see anything (trash or otherwise), unless I don't have the room to carry it, I'll pick it up.

So, my advice (from a non-expert with only 22 14ers under my belt) is to either put a note on it saying you'll pick it up at such and such a time, or hide it so no one can find it.

Am I way off here?

No, you're right on. A little planning when stashing can save a whole lot of headache.

We were witness to the rescue efforts and are positive it is not related.

Trust me, I wouldn't have picked it up if there was any realistic chance it was stashed. It was just way to weird a spot. And I believe we were able to account for all climbers on the route that day. I know not everyone thinks out there, and there's no way you would know me from the next idiot. Just want to let you know that we did think through the situation before acting.

Going through the lost and found forum history, this wouldn't be the first lost tent this summer.

Postby CO Native » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:28 am

Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com