Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

LOST: Trekking poles on Pyramid

Post lost and found items here.

LOST: Trekking poles on Pyramid

Postby firsttracks » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:36 am

I can't believe I did this, but I lost my trekking poles on the NE Ridge of Pyramid on 8/1.

I thought I left them between the saddle and the ledges, but I must have left them at the base of the green / yellow wall. (???) Hopefully those goats didn't knock them off into the south basin. $50 Reward + shipping offered. (These have been with me since I first started in 2000.)

Description: Leki Makalu poles (with the annoying shock absorbers) with gray Black Diamond powder baskets. These are three piece poles. These are about eight years old, and have significant wear and tear. The markings around 125 cm are completely scraped off.

Either post here or PM if you have them. Thanks!

Re: LOST: Trekking poles on Pyramid

Postby CincyBearcats » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:42 am

(bump)
Woops!!! I bet the descent back to the amphitheater was fun without them? With any luck, there's a goat out there right now showing all his buddies the advantages of using trekking poles for climbing. It sounds like this was just a bad weekend for New Mexicans to be in the mountains. On our way to the Crestones, we got to the top of La Veta Pass before we realized that we had left our hiking boots at home. Luckily, we made it to a store in Alamosa 12-minutes before closing time. After a 13-hour day in brand new boots, I was ready to cut my feet off when we got back to the car.

Postby Undertaker » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:01 am

Hey firstracks, we found your poles (the three guys you met near the base of the green wall). Uwe grabbed them and figured they were yours so packed them back out. He is back in around Maroon lake camping/hiking though thru today and is going to flag you down when he is back.......

Undertaker

Postby firsttracks » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:21 am

Undertaker wrote:Hey firstracks, we found your poles (the three guys you met near the base of the green wall). Uwe grabbed them and figured they were yours so packed them back out. He is back in around Maroon lake camping/hiking though thru today and is going to flag you down when he is back.......
Undertaker

Fantastic! I was hoping that you guys grabbed them. I'll get in touch with Uwe. Thanks! I'll try to post my pics of the trip soon.

CincyBearcats wrote:(bump)
Woops!!! ... It sounds like this was just a bad weekend for New Mexicans to be in the mountains. On our way to the Crestones, we got to the top of La Veta Pass before we realized that we had left our hiking boots at home. Luckily, we made it to a store in Alamosa 12-minutes before closing time. After a 13-hour day in brand new boots, I was ready to cut my feet off when we got back to the car.

Funny... on my trip in June to Crestone Needle I forgot my pack, crampons, and sleeping bag (neatly packed for the trip in my gear room). I guess I'm losing my mind in my old age. :) How was the traverse? I hope you and Sarah had a successful trip!

On a side note to my lost pole story... I stopped at Ute Mountaineering in Aspen after Pyramid and bought the cheapest overpriced pair of poles I could find for Snowmass on 8/2. Those poles didn't even make it 24 hours -- I bent one beyond its usable limits in the boulders at the base of the West Face slog. They don't make 'em like they used to! A bad gear weekend for me, indeed. But, I had a great time in the Elks! Pyramid was an absolute blast -- maybe my new favorite peak!