Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

stolen trekking poles on Quandary

Post lost and found items here.

stolen trekking poles on Quandary

Postby cletons » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:48 am

I was really looking forward to downclimbing rocks on Quandary with my trekking poles that I left in the rocks to the side of the trail on the way up on Saturday July 26 so I could have use of my hands those last few hundred feet. Somebody decided to do something besides mind their own business and took my poles as well as some water I was also looking forward to drinking. I don't plan on ever seeing them again but just wanted to say, if you ever hike past someone's trekking poles at 13,000 plus feet elevation, they probably left them there on purpose and maybe you should too.

Re: stolen trekking poles on Quandary

Postby George James » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:01 am

Tell that to the marmot that dragged my pole into a little hole nearby the spot I left it, and used it as his chew toy. I was lucky to have noticed it on my way back. That was the last time I leave anything anywhere up on the mountain and expect it to be in good shape when I get back.

While I'm posting on this, does anyone know if Black Diamond will re-grip a pole? :mrgreen:
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby Kojones » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:34 am

seth0687 wrote:I feel for your pain so please don't take this the wrong way, but have you ever thought of strapping your poles to your pack???

I don't understand what would posess someone to just leave a set of trekiing poles on the side of a mountain? :shrug: Maybe its just me, but I always just strap my poles to my pack if/when I dont want them anymore...and its not exactly like your talking about 50 extra pounds or something.

But again, stealing anything is NOT cool and I truely hoper maybe someone just picked them up to try and return them for fear they were forgotten.

Good Luck.

I left mine up high to hit the last part of both Windom and Sunlight. But, I agree, leaving gear has a history of not doing well for people. I'll never forget people hiking back up one of the peaks asking if I had seen 2 packs... they had forgotten where they left them #-o and it seemed like it would be a long hike back up most of the way to find them.

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:42 am

On some longer hikes we cache water bottles along the trail for the return trip. You would not imagine the lengths we go to so they are not "found" by someone else and so we can also remember where we put them. Another responsible climber wouldn't touch a trove like that, but there are plently of LESS THAN responsible hikers out there.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby Papillon » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:00 am

I found a pair of red Leki trekking poles just past Point 13248 along the Halo Ridge route of Holy Cross on Saturday. Despite the fact that I could not figure out why someone would ditch them there, I left them alone. I would never mess with somebody else's gear.

I really don't understand the "stash it" phenomenon that seems to be the norm. I don't like to separate myself from my gear (Roach: Don't separate yourself from your lunch). A pair of snowshoes is what, 4-5 pounds?

If I was a thief, I'd set up shop next winter at the Quandary TH. I figure I could fetch 10-20 pairs of snowshoes per day easy.

And anyone who takes food or water from someone else needs to have their bell rung - big time.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby grizz » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:29 am

I know most people love going light, so ditching gear for the summit push in some cases might be thier logic

Not directed at the poster of the above quote:

Some people watch too much Discovery Channel. :lol:
Colorado Native

Postby grizz » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:51 am

seth0687 wrote:
grizz wrote:
I know most people love going light, so ditching gear for the summit push in some cases might be thier logic

Not directed at the poster of the above quote:

Some people watch too much Discovery Channel. :lol:

It might be b/c I'm tired but I dont quiet follow you. I know you said its not directed at me but I will admit its discovery channel or bust #-o

Let me clarify

Ditching gear for the summit push sounds funny when talking about 14ers, much more reasonable terminology when watching Everest on the Discovery Channel.
Colorado Native

Postby kodiakk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:04 am

First of all, when you are 13,000 feet plus on a mountain, the last thing anyone needs to be thinking about is whether they need to carry their poles in case someone decides to take them. It's like skiing. We leave our skii's behind while we go inside to warm up and we don't worry about it because it's common sense... take your's and no one else's. If she wants to leave her poles, that is her perogative and she should fully expect them to be there when she returns. It's about people being respectful, and it is incredibly frustrating when people aren't.

Postby grizz » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:05 am

seth0687 wrote:
Let me clarify

Ditching gear for the summit push sounds funny when talking about 14ers, much more reasonable terminology when watching Everest on the Discovery Channel.

hahaha dad gum vocab did it again....stupid bear grills HAHAHAHAHA =D> :roll:

Bear Grills = what not to do when in a survival situation.
Colorado Native

Postby grizz » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:13 am

kodiakk wrote:First of all, when you are 13,000 feet plus on a mountain, the last thing anyone needs to be thinking about is whether they need to carry their poles in case someone decides to take them. It's like skiing. We leave our skii's behind while we go inside to warm up and we don't worry about it because it's common sense... take your's and no one else's. If she wants to leave her poles, that is her perogative and she should fully expect them to be there when she returns. It's about people being respectful, and it is incredibly frustrating when people aren't.

I think what others are saying is most often things go missing in this type of situation. If you don’t leave your gear behind you don’t need to think about it a 13k. I truly hope the poles are recovered and the thiefs are punished.
Colorado Native

Postby davebobk47 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:44 am

kodiakk wrote:First of all, when you are 13,000 feet plus on a mountain, the last thing anyone needs to be thinking about is whether they need to carry their poles in case someone decides to take them. It's like skiing. We leave our skii's behind while we go inside to warm up and we don't worry about it because it's common sense... take your's and no one else's. If she wants to leave her poles, that is her perogative and she should fully expect them to be there when she returns. It's about people being respectful, and it is incredibly frustrating when people aren't.

Yes, you should expect your skis to be there when you get back but I've had mine taken once.

If it ain't yours, leave it be...
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby iceman » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:47 am

WOW. Stealing a pair of trekking poles is one thing, but water, that is low. I wonder if they might still be laying right where you left them. Those rocks all tend to look alike. Just a thought. :?:

Next