Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Good books to learn how to set up climbs and reppels

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Good books to learn how to set up climbs and reppels

Postby tators_tots » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:37 am

I am wanting to learn how to set up climbs and reppels. Can anyone recommend a book or DVD that is good for getting the basics down?
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess for he who promised is faithful.
-Hebrews 10:23

Postby ThinAir » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:43 am

Freedom of the Hills. Buy it, Read it, Live it.

Postby ajkagy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:22 am

ThinAir wrote:Freedom of the Hills. Buy it, Read it, Live it.

I second that...also, you can't be a good class to learn the right/safe way, or perhaps learning from someone more experienced. Reading a book is good, but you can't beat having hands on training with roping up/climbing/rappel techniques.

Postby tators_tots » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:34 am

ajkagy,
I completely agree that hands on experience is needed and that you can't learn everything in a book. I have a small amount of climbing set experience from working at a Christian camp outside of Divide doing high elements and some climb and reppels. I am really wanting to learn more of the knots and how to equilize and that kind of stuff before I get out and do more climbing. I have two more years of college in Nebraska that I will use to learn more from what I can read and then after graduation will hopefully be off to some place where I can outdoor climb.
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess for he who promised is faithful.

Postby chrispy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:12 am

John Long's book on climbing anchors is an easy read and specifically addresses your specific question.
Agreed with the others that freedom of the hills is a baseline on the mountaineering subject, but at almost two inches thick can be cumbersome if you want to bone up on a specific.
Be cautious with your mentor, while there is no substitute for real world experience, every climber has a different opinion on anchors...

Postby tators_tots » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:48 am

The mentor idea is a great suggestion. I'm attending the University of Nebraska and I believe there is a rock climbing club and the outdoor recreation center trips through which I could find a mentor. I really want to learn these skills so that I can keep myself and the people I'm with in the mountains safe. I wish I had the time and money to take a NOLS course.